Wednesday, September 24, 2008

making skirts

Boo is growing. She's almost as tall is me. That's not saying a lot, since I'm 5 feet 2, but she's getting taller. There's height somewhere in her genes, because Daddyman is 6 feet 1, sooo... if she spurts again she could at least pass me up. All this growing has caused a major wardrobe problem. She's outgrown all her dresses and skirts...overnight.

I knew this was on the horizon, so I've been scoping out girls dresses etc. Well, since she's grown, most of the little girl stuff is too short for her and juniors clothes make her look like a hooker. I decided today to look at patterns and try to make her a couple of skirts. Well.. that would be fine except all the skirts were either very 'little girl'... or "Project Runway". No I'm not making that up. They had patterns for LITTLE GIRLS 'inspired by Project Runway'. HUH?! They also had some High School Musical and some Hannah Montana. Oh well.. that's sooo much better. Last time I checked, she doesn't go to Sunday School dressed like a pop diva! (and adult sizes still run way too big..she's like a size zero in juniors)

I don't have to ask.. but what has happened to us? To kids? There were so many patterns of midriff showing outfits and low cut things and spaghetti strap things and super short things and on and on. I just wanted to die. I know there are those that want to make the current fashions and save money (but with some patterns costing upwards to $15, there is little saved, IMO). I get that...sorta. But what about those of us that sew because we hate what's on the rack at the department stores?? Vicki Courtney has blogged about it... Angie at Bring the Rain has blogged about it. And her comments went through the roof! So I know I'm not the only one struggling with this.

But what's a mom to do?

I WILL NOT throw in the towel and give in to the mess girls are wearing. But what are my options??? I can't even find patterns to MAKE her something decent. *sigh*

No comments: