Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'm a grandma

No.. not really. Unless you count our little computerized bundle of joy Boo has to take care of for the weekend. The hubs calls 'it' Plastic Robot Baby. It's real name is 'Baby Simulator'. We named it Lexi last night just for fun. But the fun wore off pretty fast.

Now it's just 'the baby'. As in "you need to get your stupid, screaming baby to be quiet". This is another one of those 'life lessons' from Home Ec I talked about yesterday. We have a life sized baby doll that comes complete with a diaper bag, a wardrobe and an infant carrier... all full sized and full weight.. to carry around all weekend. It cries periodically day AND night and she has to sync up a bracelet to a slot on it's back and rock it until it quits crying and starts coo-ing. And if she can't get to it right that second, it cries LONGER. And LOUDER. Oh yeah.. a fun weekend all around, folks!

We've already decided we aren't going anywhere this weekend.

Let's see...life lessons so far: (from both sides of the fence)
  1. I'm too young to be a grandma.
  2. I'm too old to be a new mommy. Although there are those that chose it, but I just don't think I could hack it at this point. (a non-issue for me at this point anyway!)
  3. I don't fall asleep as fast after each 'cry' as easily as I did when I was younger.
  4. Boo does. That's why moms are supposed to be younger.
  5. But not that young.
  6. I think Boo sees that babies can be a major pain.
  7. She also sees what HER mom went through during the early months and appreciates it more.
  8. Her 'cradling arm' is sore. The hubs and I had forgotten about that one.
  9. She and I enjoyed looking at baby pictures of her and her brother and talking about that time in our lives. She listened more intently than ever.
  10. Babies cry a lot. No duh, Sherlock!
  11. Boo doesn't like dolls or things that move or make noise anymore now than she did when she was little. We all still have recurring nightmares of a time she received a 'Tiger Electronics' Mechanical 'toy'. (although for the record, this baby doesn't move at all. Just noises. That's plenty!)
  12. Cats really are curious.

I'm sure there will be more things to add to this list as the weekend progresses. When's nap time???

2 comments:

Gberger said...

It sounds as if this assignment really works! Great interaction with your daughter, a good chance for her to see a bit of what it is really like (though we know that the "real thing" is more of a committment than "the baby"), and an opportunity to laugh & learn together. God bless you as you go through the weekend. I hope everyone gets a good nap!

Smelling Coffee said...

Too funny! I agree with being too old to be a new mom, and too young to be a grandma. Hope you get some rest on Monday when the baby goes back to school. :-)