Monday, September 29, 2008

it was her idea

I started to call this post 'better living through the internet', but I thought that might be a bit ambitious. But anyhoo...

Boo had an idea. A crafty one. (at 5pm on Saturday.. I knew we would be heading out to eat soon) And since I'm not overly good at crafts, I began to moan and whine...but only internally. I gave her idea a look-see. It looked do-able. So we set out to do it! She wanted to turn this...
into this... So that's what we did! She found a You-Tube video tutorial that showed how to make it. I made some changes since I had no intentions of sewing this thing up with a needle and thread. We used my trusty Kenmore sewing machine instead. And we also didn't put a flap on the front, like the video showed. We thought that kind of messed up the whole hey look, it's made out of a pair of jeans thing. It didn't take very long.. and since it's supposed to look kinda crafty, I didn't spend a lot of time making it 'perfect' either. We finished the sewing before dinner!

After dinner, we stopped at Joann's. Yes even the hubster went to Joann's. We bought Velcro for closures. Velcro has come a long way since I've last used it. This was fusible (!!!), so I ironed it on the insides of the purse. Took no time at all and it's really stuck on there very well. I was impressed! We also bought the cute buttons and cut the backs off and glued them on the purse with E6000 glue. Love that stuff. It bonded perfectly. We left it spread out on the dining table to dry Saturday night and by Sunday morning, she had a cute little homemade purse to carry to Sunday School.

Hmm.. let's tally up the costs here:
Outgrown blue jeans in the giveaway stack... FREE
Glue left over from summer craft classes... FREE
Cute little pink belt we added after this pic was taken... FREE
Assorted buttons and velcro... about $10

The look on her face every time she tells me "I love this purse!"... PRICELESS!!!

1 comment:

Gberger said...

That looks awesome, and I love that it was Boo's idea. You did a great job. It's so sweet that you are able to do crafts with your girl! God bless you.