Thursday, September 4, 2008

an empty feeling

The past few days, I've felt like I was rattling around in an empty house. Like I wasn't sure what to do with myself. My hubby's out of town on business. He comes home tonight. This was an 'easy' trip. It was only two days. He's usually gone a whole week. Every time.

I just feel 'off' when he's gone. It feels odd to go to bed. It feels odd to cook a meal and only set out two plates. Even the cat kinda walks around hunting for what his missing. Boo lives for when the phone rings and 'it might be Daddy'. But more often than not I have to tell her he's still at work, or still asleep or 'still' something and he probably won't be calling at that time. Don't you just love time differences?

He comes home tonight. Jet lag and all. We'll be thrilled to have him home... of course. And I'll be exhausted, since I don't sleep 'right' when he's gone. And he'll be awake wanting to talk. Don't you just love jet lag?

But all of this makes me think of the ones for whom 'Daddy' isn't coming home. Maybe he's in the military. Maybe he hasn't been in the picture for a long time. Maybe he died. What about those? The empty bed won't be warm again. There won't be hugs and kisses and maybe presents (that's only happened once... can you say 'long layover' and 'bored Daddy'? I knew you could!) tonight.

The other day, Boo was at a church event and hubby and I had some time to ourselves and we were fresh from coloring chili peppers, so we had thoughts of Bub running through our minds. So I asked if he'd like to go to the cemetery. He said sure. We've only been together a couple of times. We always walk around. (we're weird LOL) We stumbled upon a grave that we think might belong to a friend of ours. He died unexpectedly. I think of his wife daily. Just makes me sad for her and her kids. He's not coming home tonight. No happy reunion. This feeling I've had for a few days is other people's normal. Just makes me sad.

No comments: