Thursday, September 11, 2008

the day

Today's the day. 9-11. No we'll never forget. Although this time of year is strange for me anyhow. Even with the attacks and everything else, the thing that comes to mind most often is the fact that we were still going to clinic and still sitting in those same chairs and still watching the same cartoons while watching the same kids play with the same toys while attached to the same IV poles and being cared for by the same nurses and doctors while looking into the eyes of the same sad parents.

There was so much sameness and at the same time, the world as we knew it was being blown apart. But while America grieved the loss of those they didn't know (for the most part), we were silently grieving the future loss of someone we did know. Our lives truly would never be the same.

Surreal.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

It grieves me terribly to see how numb our country has become in regards to that cataclysmic day. So it is with gratitude that I thank you (and everyone like you) that asks us to take a backward glance even as we ponder the future.

Truly the Lord will bring (has brought) good from this tragic scar on our American heart. May He be found and glorified in it all.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

Smelling Coffee said...

Kay, I am so sorry for all you have been through, and so thankful that you can still see the Caring Hand of God in your lives.

Anonymous said...

Kay,

It is such a sad day for so many in our country. I am so terribly sorry for your loss of your Bubba. I haven't read your entire blog--have you written about him and his life at all? I will say a prayer for you and your family today asking our Lord for comfort and peace.

Thanks for visiting my blog--sorry it was a day where my frustration just "exploded". It is so very nice to "meet" you!

Kim from PA

Anonymous said...

Please forgive me Kay--I found all of your posts about Bubba. You are very good at putting your thoughts, experiences and feelings into words. Thank you for sharing about him and the journey your family shared.

Kim from PA

HWHL said...

Hi Kay! First, thanks for coming by my blog - I always appreciate comments, and it's always nice to see a "new" person! (New to me, anyway!)

Second, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. My son spent the first (almost) 6 months of his life in the NICU so I can relate to life in the hospital, but of course I cannot relate to the deep sorrow and loss you feel at having lost your precious boy.

Ironically, just 3 days ago, I stumbled upon a really cool piece (by Max Lucado)... it was about dealing with the passing of a loved on. I remember thinking "Hmmm. I'll have to remember that the next time I meet someone who has lost a loved one."

Coincidence? I think not. :-)

I'll find it and send it to you soon...

Blessings and peace to you!