Tuesday, October 21, 2008

travel tips

Antique Mommy is doing a carnival today about travel tips. She's got some great ideas of her own, but has invited others to join in. It took me a while to decide if I had anything to share. But before long, my mind went into travel mode and I thought of several things we just naturally do.

There's the easy stuff like DVDs and CDs. One thing we did with our daughter was give her a brand new spiral notebook when we went on a road trip. I included a zip pouch of pencils, map colors (they don't melt and don't make a mess like those awful markers) and those crank up crayon things. Love. Those. She could write, draw.. whatever she wanted to do. I would include books she's currently reading and maybe a couple of kids magazines too. I used to put all of this in a tote bag and that bag never left the van the entire trip. Those things were ONLY for the van. And so when we got in to go, she was ready to play with them again.

Now that she's older, Nintendo DS and movies work well. But mostly just DS. She will play for hours. Since she's older and school work and study take up so much of her time, she's delighted to spend several hours hooked up to the DS and we don't mind, since she's quiet and not asking how much longer 'til we get there.

But to answer that dreaded question... how much longer 'til we get there... enter the GPS. I totally 'heart' our GPS. Even though we've had ours a while and it's not the newest or the fanciest, it does show the ETA (estimated time of arrival) in one corner. So our daughter can glance up at that and know what time we should arrive. Of course, stopping for meals etc bumps the ETA a bit. But even that is a good lesson... don't piddle. It's almost like a game for us sometimes.. how fast can we eat so we don't ruin our ETA. My husband has commented that it's cut down on MY complaining and wondering about how much longer we'll be in the car too. A-hem.. I guess I'm not that great a traveler either.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know the joys of the GPS until a recent car trip when our college-age daughter brought HERS. What a handy thing to have! I never knew.

Antique Mommy said...

I don't love car travel. I'm good for a couple of hours, not much longer than my 4YO. We are going to have to get a GPS before our next car trip to the midwest!

Pam said...

I know what you're saying Antique Mommy... I get more impatient than my daughter.. so the tip about the GPS is just as much for the grown-up antsy pantsies like us as it is for the little ones! LOL

Kiy said...

I am a car-trip kind of gal, but hubby hates them! In fact, he's worse than the baby and that's saying something. Right now for her we are just doing dvd's, but I love your tips for the spiral notebook for when she's older and I must look into map colors. I've never heard of them (nor the crayons you mentioned). What great tips!

Cheers, Kiy

P.S. Going to have to get the GPS out of storage for the hubs, never thought of that as a car toy (hehe!).

Kathleen said...

I'm not on board with GPS yet, but then again I've been a late-comer to lots of things. I like the security feature best. It's why I never go anywhere without my cell phone.

P.S. I love the picture of your little ones you've posted on your homepage too. What a darling shot!

Anonymous said...

We got GPS in our car and a map in our mobile phones.