Tuesday, October 7, 2008

courtship

I watched the show 17 Kids and Counting last night. It's new on TLC and features the Duggar family of Arkansas. I am fascinated by them and I admire them. I'm fascinated of course, by the number of children they have and how they run a smooth ship and have happy, productive children. And I admire them for their religious beliefs.

Last night's episode was about courtship. Their oldest child, a son, is 20 and engaged. It showed him asking the girl's dad if they could get married, his proposal and showed them together holding hands. And that's all we're going to see. Holding hands. Because they're saving their first kiss for their wedding day. In the world today where anything goes and 'sex' is everywhere, these two are taking a pretty unpopular stance. But I admire them for it.

Boo and I went through Passport to Purity together a while back. We didn't do some of the dating parts, but we may do that sometime. She has no interest whatsoever... so I'm not in a rush. And at school they're doing True Love Waits and a book called Dateable. When you put all this info together, she's getting a very strong picture that you need to wait until you're old enough to be serious, to even enter a relationship and what the criteria for a dating partner/potential mate are.

I so wished she could have watched the Duggars last night (she was supposed to be going to sleep lol) as they are doing it right in regards to instilling in their children the desire to be pure and not give themselves away sooner than they should. It's sad to me that this family is seen as a freak show because of their religious beliefs (not talking about the quiver full movement here) and the fact that they are a clean cut, happy, productive family. I've seen much smaller families that can't pull that off! LOL

It just stuns me now far we've strayed as a country sometimes. And yet I don't know why seeing this fresh faced family is the thing that brought it to mind last night when it's splattered across the headlines, on billboards and on just about every TV show currently airing.

2 Chronicles 7:14and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

We need to pray for our country.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

So many consciences are "seared" and simply do not relish these precious, innocent and simple ways between young lovers.

One only needs peak at the divorce rate to know the world's ways lead to heartache. Yet for some reason programming and media get raunchier by the moment.

Oh how I love innocence.

Kathleen