Friday, October 10, 2008

that Dillards lady

I've been shopping for fall clothes and things appropriate for church for Miss Boo. It's getting harder and harder to find modest clothes lately. I usually go to Penneys just because they're cheaper, and especially for jeans and tops, since they only last one season at best because she grows. I hate to spend a big wad on one top. Unless of course, it's a really special top.. and she usually has one or two of those every season.. but not a whole wardrobe of them. But lately I've noticed the things at Penneys are hmm shall we say more hookery, if that's even a word...or grungy or something or other. I just haven't been pleased with the selections lately.

So Wednesday, it was off to Dillards. They had some cute stuff. I found some jeans and some cute tops and appropriate church things. Some of it was even on clearance. So I carried my arm load of stuff to the cashier. She was a nice lady. Very chatty. And she could tell by my armload of clothes that I had a daughter...or at least that's what one would assume. Anyway, she went on and on about how she didn't have a daughter. She'd only had a son. And she just kept talking. And you know how it is when these ladies are talking sometimes and you're just half listening and uh-huh'ing and yeah'ing in the appropriate places. Well, that's what I was doing. But she was just going on and going on. At one point she asked me if had other children, and I told her I just had a daughter. I don't want to go into it with everybody that comes down the pike. But then she went on and on about me not having a son. This whole conversation was WEIRD the way she was almost pressing with things. Fiiiinally, I just said "I used to". She said 'oh'. And that was it. Strange.

Well, I brought everything home and she got to try everything on. The jeans didn't fit. I think I bought three pairs. And one top didn't fit.. the neck scooped way too much and didn't cover her properly. (major pet peeve with girls clothing 'design' these days...but that's another post!) And I think a slip I bought for her didn't fit. So I had quite an armload of returns yesterday. Guess what... it was the same lady. She remembered me and asked something like "didn't any of that stuff fit?" and "Are you bringing it all back?" I assured her I had kept the items that worked. She started talking again while she worked on my transaction. But this time it was about how I was her first customer of the day and how my returns were putting her sales in the hole (not her words, but definitely the point she was making). She asked me if I had any more shopping to do. I assured her I looked over the store very thoroughly the day before. She stressed to me that if I found anything else in the store I wanted to buy, that I should bring it back to her and buy it from her. I said thank you and left.

Both of these exchanges were some of the weirdest I've ever had with retail staff... especially at a more 'upscale' department store.

3 comments:

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Dh got his hair cut yesterday and he said a new lady did it. She nicked his ear with the trimmers and by the end of the whole thing, he felt like apologizing for bleeding. He, too, described it as a weird encounter.

Pam said...

Donna...That is so funny.. not the getting nicked part.. but the weird part! People crack me up sometimes.

I hope my dh doesn't describe a weird encounter with his 'hairdresser'.. since it's ME! LOL I learned to cut it not long after I bought trimmers to cut Bub's hair off. He keeps it short and told me he'd tell 'the girl' to do this, this and this and I figured I could do it too. So I do. Saves time since he doesn't have to go get it cut somewhere.

Let's all hope for a non-weird-encounter kinda weekend! :-D

ps..I've never nicked him and I don't get as much practice as she does. One haircut a month! ha ha!

Kathleen said...

It's a sure thing that this down market has struck even the most congenial of store clerks with bad manners. I've encountered many a short-tempered soul in recent days myself.

Never has His light and salt been more vital.

Kathleen