Wednesday, October 22, 2008

what's normal?

I've had the classic, The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee for years. But never read it.

Now I'm reading it.

Wow.. it's very good. He is very detailed in some things that if you aren't careful you could think are too simplistic for an explanation etc, but the more I read, the more I'm reminded there's more to things than what is on the surface. I am becoming more and more drawn into this book. Sometimes when I read books like this, I almost feel like I'm sitting down to a feast. Delicious!

And yet, I get sad sometimes. Because when I read these types of books, I know I'm the only one my age reading them.. or so it would seem to be. You see.. I read a lot of books by people like Andrew Murray and E.M. Bounds etc. What is one of the major things they have in common...??? They're long dead! LOL I don't read much umm current writing. There are some exceptions, but not many.

I feel people today are missing out on so much by not giving these older writings a chance. I came to know God through this type of writing. It is Life to me. So much that's written today is for women only or men only or teens only or this group only or that group only. And I just don't get it. Walking with God is not a gender specific thing. I don't know how to get into this mindset that God has a special word for me because I'm a female. I know that sounds strange. But to Him, there is neither male nor female. (Galatians 3:28) And yet when it comes to study, we so often segregate. I don't read as a female, but as a child of God. And He never fails to show me Himself.

So next time you want to read something that nourishes your soul, take a stroll over to the 'classics' section at your Christian bookstore and try something different. It might just change your life!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I've heard of that book but never read it. Maybe I'll check it out!