When Bub was diagnosed, one of the first people to come in the room was a lady with this quilt. We were scared, confused, exhausted and had already been away from home for what felt like a week, having endured more than one surgery and several tests before we even got to the in-patient part. This became one of the things we always packed for hospital stays. He enjoyed covering up with it since it wasn't an institutional blanket. It was fun. It had "aminals" on it. For some reason, I was thinking it was Noah's Ark.. but duh... it's just "aminals". I guess my memory is fading some on the details. Kinda sad. I hate that.
It's bigger than I remembered! He was so tiny cuddled up under it.
I had forgotten until I got ready to take these pictures that it was given under the Project Linus name. I remember now that we always called it his 'Linus Blanket'. Even though it's a quilt.
Another Project Linus Tag.
This one is custom made and satin.
Like I said, we carried this blanket to every hospital stay we had. I took it to transplant, but it only stayed on the bed for one day. I really had no idea what we were in for as far as that experience. wash. wash. wash. It might of made another appearance at the end of transplant, but I don't remember at this point. He rarely played with it at home. I guess it was a negative while he was home. But he loved it at the hospital.
It symbolizes so much. I had a small 'freak out time' today, as I couldn't find it! I can usually put my hands on things I really need. But I hunted and scrounged around and came up empty. I had a moment of panic, but reminded myself that The Hubster had recently rearranged in there and could surely put his hand on it fast. I met him in the garage when he came home from work today, peppering him with questions about it. He went to the closet and had his hand on it very quickly. Whew! I almost cried when I saw it.
I couldn't believe how people who've never met us could take the time to make something so sweet and wonderful for us. It was a warm gesture during a very dark time.
1 comment:
Thank you for sharing this story and the photos. You know that I am a big fan of the comforting power of a handmade "blankie." So glad that your husband knew just where he had put your Bub's blanket!
Post a Comment