Friday, August 1, 2008

forward

I got one of those nasty forwards talking about what an awful person one of our presidential candidates is... how he snubbed troops on a recent visit etc. His last name starts with an "O" in case you couldn't figure it out or you wanted to know. This blog is not at all political... I feel like a fish out of water when I vote and have to remember how to do 'this' etc. It's just not my thing. Not where my focus lies. Having said all of that, "O" isn't my favorite person.. for lots of reasons. Nothing to do with the forward.

And that's a good thing, because the forward was a lie.

Which brings me to the broader topic at hand. Forwards. I hate them. I just hate them. Well, let me rephrase that. I hate most of them. The ones with cute kitties are OK. The ones with silly poems about getting older or needing bifocals are sometimes OK. But...and this is a big but here... NOT most of them. You know the ones. If you're American, forward this. If you care about people, forward this seven times. If you're a good Christian, forward this. This one bothers me because most of the time, a little discernment and listening to God, and the email wouldn't even get sent in the first place. And yet I've seen it played out over and over. I just get so sick of it.

My being an American is not dependant on my forwarding some dumb email. My being a friend or caring about people isn't dependant on it either. This one is a particular pet peeve! *IF* I really really care about someone.. guess what! I can write them an email. Or they can sit down and write me one. Or.. gasp... we could have a meaningful conversation! Not some dumb forward. What does a forward say, other than, "I can hit send". Woo hoo. What a talent. And as far as being a good Christian, read the Word, pray, listen for His still small voice and then do what He says. (Most forwards are pretty shakey theologically anyway!)

If we really want to be a friend, let's love each other deeply from the heart. Pass that ahead. So much better than a forward, don't you think?!

1 comment:

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Yes, and AMEN!

My i-l's are some of the worst about this. And what really gets me is the ones with all the pictures attached. Like I REALLY have time to sit down and open each and every [photoshop enhanced] picture of someone I don't know.

Now, send me relavent pictures of yourself doing something... and I'm definitely going to look. But otherwise... stop clogging up my email.

Ok - stepping down [off the soap-box that is].

~Donna