Thursday, July 31, 2008

the necklace

I knew when we were in preparation for losing Bub that I wanted a piece of jewelry to remember him by. I'm not talking about 1 carat diamonds or some fancy somethin' somethin'... but I wanted something meaningful to carry with me. This is what we chose. Bub loved butterflies and green was his favorite color. When the jeweler showed me this made up with some ugly stone color, I knew it was perfect. We chose an emerald for the butterfly because green also signifies life. And Bub is experiencing more of life now than he was when he was here. That's so hard for us to grasp sometimes. His headstone has butterflies on it and talks about is illness and then says "the struggle of the cocoon is over... he is free!". I love that! That is what this life is... a struggle until we're freed from this body to receive our a new life in heaven.

I wear my necklace every day. It has started some interesting conversations. I get compliments on it almost daily. Sometimes I just smile and touch it. Other times it opens a door to tell someone about our son and his cancer journey. And other times to tell of the Father's amazing love for him and us. This necklace has come to symbolize so much. When I got it, it was to mark a passing, but the longer I've worn it, it reminds me of a future. Free of the cocoon.

4 comments:

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Beautiful... just beautiful.

Gberger said...

I love your necklace and its symbolism. So glad you shared it here.
I do have a pattern for the quilts, and I will email it to you, if you want to put your email in a comment on my blog, or sign Katie's caringbridge guestbook and put it in there...I want to protect your (and my) privacy, so I don't put my email out here. Katie's CB is www.caringbridge.org/visit/katiegerstenberger. I hope this helps!

Dawn said...

Beautiful

Rebekah said...

This is truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing it again for those of us who are newer to your blog can see.