Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What has happened?

What has happened to the Sabbath? Life goes on day in and day out including Sundays. We've gone from the Blue Law to the Christian book store being open in between services. And Christians who have an inkling of an idea of trying to observe the Sabbath are caught in the middle. In the middle of 'hey, lets go out to eat after church'... or 'the birthday party at the loud, recreation complex is on Sunday, can she come?'... or even more subtle... 'I am tired and don't feel like cooking tonight'. So what is the Christian family to do? How can we reclaim this Holiest of days? How can we observe, what is for the most part, inside the church, lost? If I say anything about not doing this or not doing that on Sunday among my church going friends, I get strange looks. Strangely people who do not go to church seem to 'understand' more than those who do. Why is that???

Isaiah 58:12-14
13"If because of the sabbath, you turn your foot From doing your own pleasure on My holy day, And call the sabbath a delight, the holy day of the LORD honorable, And honor it, desisting from your own ways, From seeking your own pleasure And speaking your own word, 14Then you will take delight in the LORD, And I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; And I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, For the mouth of the LORD has spoken." (italics mine)

Why isn't doing what pleases God a delight...in this matter or any other? Lord help us find our delight in You!

No comments: