Sunday, April 20, 2008

seek and find

Today we worked on a history project for the Boo's school. We had to get pictures printed out of some landmarks and people etc. Well... I couldn't find one of the pics. We hunted high and low. I thought it was in the envelope with the others, but where did it go? I knew we had been to this place before, so I hunted through more of our personal pics to see if I had a suitable substitute. This hunting among boxes and photo albums and looking online and looking at what I have in digital pics took quite a while..making for one Grouchy Mom! We ended up settling for some pics I took during the early 80's (!!!) with an Instamatic camera that are super grainy. But they showed what she needed and even showed some extra things on the same property as this popular historical building in our state.

Later in the day, I couldn't find a recipe. A friend is sick and I'm going to take a meal to her. I wanted to take a meal I had previously taken to her before as it transports well, her family likes it and it makes two (!!!) meals.. bake one and freeze one for another day. But... I couldn't find the recipe. I hunted through my recipe books and my cooking magazines and everywhere else I stash recipes and came up empty. I was so frustrated. I hate not being able to find things. Grouchy Mom Part 2!

I began to ponder how much energy was put into looking for these unimportant (in the grand scheme of life, that is) items. These things had stolen my joy and made me a total grouch for a good bit of the day today. Look at all the effort and emotion poured into these simple items! I had to stop and wonder if I pour that much energy and drive into seeking after God? Sadly my answer was no. I had to seek forgiveness when that realization hit me. But thankfully God is merciful and forgiving.

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." - 'all my heart' certainly is a strong phrase. There are many other verses that I already have tucked into my frantic little brain that say this same thing. Kinda like thats something He wants us to hear and grasp, hmmm?! Father, please help me to seek after you earnestly!

Luke 14:26b "He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." - on a side note. I started looking for the recipe again after I had prayed, and put my hands on it the first place I looked! Father, thank you for bringing this simple thing to remembrance, so I can put it to rest... and make a yummy meal for a sick friend!

No comments: