Monday, April 7, 2008

homemade vs 'in the wrapper'

I bought groceries today.. otherwise known as emptying the bank account! I just about had a heart attack. Evvvverything is going up! I guess with all the gas woes right now...its all hitting the fan!

Today's bill was probably the highest bill I've ever had at the grocery store. Like I said, I just about died! I didn't buy a lot of 'special stuff'..after all, its not Thanksgiving or anything. But I got some cough medicine ($12) and more fresh veggies than my crisper drawer will hold. I can't even put a price on that. Disclaimer: the bell peppers were on sale CHEAP, but I bought a ton of them. Now I just need to get them eaten before they go bad. haha!

But the biggest kicker for me is the packaged stuff... you know.. the snacks! The chips, ice cream, cookies and those 'low fat' twinkie things that are two boxes of tiny cupcakes for $6...yes... SIX BUCKS! crazy. I can buy a cake mix and low fat it down and put a smidge of icing on it and get a bigger cupcake and the same amount of icing and it would cost waaaay less! But guess what... my family won't eat it! (I guess I'll know if hubby reads my blog today if he mentions this one, huh?!) If I home make something, for the most part, it just gets stared at...muffins, quick breads etc. But lets put it in a wrapper and they are THERE, ya know? Maybe the grocery bill today will make them rethink the current situation. But I just about got sick today. Even if he doesn't read the ole' bloggy, we'll be having a discussion about this. I don't think we can afford all the snacky snack stuff and all the essentials too... the way the prices are going!

On a different note.. The Boo has been spreading the love... er... germs! I came down with her Boo-giness's cold. ugh! And having asthma doesn't help! Its so not fun being awake all night unable to breathe. I hope I turn the corner soon. All I want to do is cradle my Kleenex box (ONLY the ones with lotion.. that is one thing we will NOT scrimp on! You gotta have priorities!) and sit in the rocking chair. I did that over the weekend, but we like to eat, so I ventured out to walk the isles of my wonderful, lovely "K".

Hopefully, tomorrow I will turn the corner and be able to breathe. In the meantime, I've got veggies to prep and twinkies to eat!

No comments: