Thursday, April 3, 2008

the road ahead

Little did we know when we expanded our family from just one child, Boo, to our son, Bubba, what the road ahead held for us. He had health problems from the 'git go' as they say. He came home from the hospital on meds and took a med for one thing or another for the rest of his life! Just about the time we felt like things were leveling out and we could begin to see into the future without so many meds and inhalers etc, we got the shocking news in Jan 'o1 that he had cancer. And not just any cancer.. one of the nastiest that the childhood cancer 'world' can offer! 'They' said he had little 'chance' to survive... between 5 and 15%. Very scary! I learned early on not to pay close attention to 'the odds' because they were stacked against us. This was one of those times I had to just draw near to God and be still and listen. He had so much to say during those dark days. Giving hope when the doctors said it was pretty much hopeless....stamina when my body and mind just wanted to run away from the life we were forced into by his diagnosis... faith when all I could see before me was 'death' and not the 'laughing, playing, very much alive little toddler' I still had at my feet... strength to do 'what had to be done' sometimes - the ability to shave my own son's head (well, hubby did it, but I had to come to the place to agree with it first!), hold him down for pokes... I could go on and on. The road was one I had not anticipated but one He has used to make me who I am today and for that I am thankful.

No comments: