Sunday, June 1, 2008

a celebration

I went to a celebration for my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary today. They live in Small Town, Texas and its always fun to visit. I was born there but we moved away shortly after, so my only memories of this town are visits to this aunt and uncle and two cousins and my grandparents, Mamaw and Papaw.

We arrived and I immediately started hunting for my cousin. She and I have always been pretty close. I think we love each other like sisters. We love being together.... whether we're doing something or nothing. Its still fun, because we're doing it together. I found her in the kitchen making punch and I asked her where I could hide my purse so I wouldn't have to hold it for two hours. She told me I could put it 'anywhere.. how about over there with mine. This isn't Big City, Texas, where YOU live'. I laughed. And put my purse 'over there'.

I enjoyed seeing people I hadn't seen in years. And then there were the faces I missed. The ones that aren't with us any longer. Time has gone on. People can't believe I'm grown. They can't believe I have a teenaged daughter. I look into their eyes and faces and try to recall exactly who this is.. retracing my memory of family reunions hoping to remember who this person looks like.. only an older version. Sometimes I was successful. Other times I was not. Thankfully, Cousin saved the day. I asked her several times who this one or that one was and finally put the pieces together of 'my' family tree.

I don't have to be there very long for my pronunciations to change. It happens every time. I can hear it. I like it. Why don't people in Big City, Texas talk like that? So many are trying to be 'big city' and it shows. I guess I am 'big city' since its where I live. But I liked visiting Small Town where nobody laughs or makes a joke when I say something 'that way' because that's the way they say it too! I like that. It's comforting and unpretentious.

We had a nice visit and all too soon it was time to go home. Back to Big City, Texas. I found my purse right where I left it and I headed for home. I miss Small Town, Texas.

No comments: