We're trying to cut back on some things because of gas prices. I don't think my city daughter was cut out for this sort of thing. She likes her snacks to come from wrappers instead of from the oven. She likes instant gratification with everything she does. If we discuss getting something, she thinks we should get up and go NOW to get it.
Today we talked about making banana bread instead of the little packaged good thing with a long list of chemicals we can't pronounce....and at a tiny fraction of the price! She thought making the bread was fun. We've made it before, but she wasn't too interested in eating it. We were measuring and stirring and she asked me why I didn't just get out the mixer and get it done faster. I explained that my spatula was doing just fine and we'd get it done just fine. She was ok with that...especially since she knew she would get to lick it! Her favorite part.
I like that part too. But I was glad to let her do it.
There are so many simple, yet important things we take for granted in our instant society. She doesn't know what its like to stand next to her grandmother in the kitchen and casually talk about this and that. Or sit in the 'front room' and play dominoes or card games under the fan in the heat of the summer and just enjoy being together. Or gather fresh vegetables from the garden and eat them warm off the vine! Everything is so contrived and even shallow these days.
I wish I knew how to make our lives simpler... and less expensive. But its hard when you live in an instant society to sloooow down and bake the bread.. or gather the veggies.. or listen to your kid! We had some fun today. She gathered up most of the ingredients for me and did most of the talking... just about this and that. I measured and did most of the stirring. We slowed down for a little bit and connected.
It was nice. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment