The Boo and I got out a little bit today. It was mostly window shopping. But we noticed a new store that seems to be catered to little girls younger than mine. Boo wanted to go check it out and since I didn't know what it was, I obliged. Some of it looked cute and fun.. but then there was this definite 'diva atmosphere' with makeovers and customized lotions and lip glosses the girls can create themselves. By the time we left, I was kinda sick to my stomach. What happened to little girls being little girls and wanting to be little and wear cute little girl clothes and just BE???
It's gone.
We were walking through Walmart the other day and a little bitty girl of maybe 4 was walking around with one of those cards that plays music... it was opened right next to her ear and some Hannah Montana song was blaring out of it! I just about died! She is four, people!
Anyway.... back to the window shopping.... Boo found a dress she wanted at a girl's shop at the mall. We had to decide if we wanted it to be a little tight... or a little low cut. If you get the smaller size, its close fitting.. but the bigger one swoops down in the front. The lady that works there kind of chuckled when I told her Boo is modest. I went on to tell her I was teaching her to be modest and not 'put her business out there' for everybody. I also told her I get tired of bringing her into stores like this.. or any store that carries clothes in girls sizes... and having to tell my daughter she can't get the shirt because you can't wear a bra with it! More smiles and strange looks. We took the smaller size. At least she was covered up and it passed the leaning-over-to-pick-up-your-Bible-on-the-floor test!
Some days I feel like the only one left!
2 comments:
No. You're not the only ones left... It is hard to find decent clothes for our daughters these days, isn't it? Mine is 7 and her size range includes pre-teen styles which are so not age appropriate. Thankfully she's not one to want the latest styles and has this one dress that she wants to wear every sunday... I find myself eventually telling her - no, you can't wear that for the 4th sunday in a row. ;)
Hey - thanks for coming by my blog. I like your header... I've been dying to do a "blog-over" but dont' have photoshop or anything and currently I don't feel the freedom to pay someone to do me a new header... anyways... way to go on doing your own!
-Donna@Did I Say That Out-Loud?
You're not the only one. I remember my favorite dresses when I was young - girly dresses with smocking on the front and you never see little girls wear anything like that anymore. Our brothers spent their younger years in overalls which are just perfect for little boys and you never see anything "plain" like that any more either. Why do they have to be grown up so early, there is so much time for that later on.
Post a Comment