There are some things in life right now that are stressful. They aren't easy. They aren't simple to figure out or work through. And sometimes those things have me so upset I'm barely worth a lick to anybody.
I love it how God can say what He wants to say to me, even when the words themselves don't exactly match up. Sunday's sermon was one of those times! He was talking about anger. Most of the time my feelings are just limited to frustration. But every now and then something happens though, and I do get angry.
It was interesting. The pastor talked about being angry a lot growing up and one particular conversation his dad had with him and all he said was son, if you don't get a handle on this anger, it's going to destroy your life. In my opinion, those are some of the wisest words anyone could say to someone who struggles with anger.
I must be in control of how I respond to the things going on around me, or it is going to make my life very difficult. I realize this and yet set it aside when the heat isn't turned up at that moment. He talked about how the boiling point of water is 212* F. And how many people live at 211*. I realized that in many ways, I had been internalizing the issues going on around me, keeping my heart and mind at a steady 211, so that if there was the tiniest blip of struggle or confrontation on the radar, it sent me into boiling mode and it just made life difficult.
So God used those words to smack me 'tween the eyes on Sunday. Again.
And yet I know *I* can't do this. At all. Obviously. But He can! I am so glad He wants to recreate us and is continually make us into new creatures... something that doesn't resemble the old at all!
6 comments:
When a pastor is giving a sermon, I love it when they illustrate it with something they have experienced. It's so much more helpful to have a real example (it's humble, too). Glad to hear that God has touched you in such a loving way this weekend.
Great post, great thoughts.
I hope this helps you.....I imagine211 must not be a fun feeling.
Take care, suz
Excellent post. Living at 211 can be so exhausting, especially if we cross over to 212.
God inhabits the praises of His people, if we are praising Him our "room temp" should go down considerably!
I don't remember how I came across your blog, been reading for about a week.
Thanks for sharing.
oh don't we need that smack between the eyes sometimes?! i think that is when we open up our eyes and rememeber to set them on Him. hope you are making progress... and smiling today.
Wise advice -- thanks!
I really enjoyed this post.
Gave me something to think about.
~Dawn
Post a Comment