I'm not an overly active kinda girl. In the past, I went through a period of getting in shape. Really in shape. I was very lean and very strong... for a girl, that is.
And then life happened. Or something like that. Actually Bub got sick. And everything else in life came to a screeching halt. I did a little bit for myself during that time, but not much. There were times when he was sick that I could go for walks. So my legs stayed toned part of the time. And I also used to run the stairs to the fourth floor to his hospital room, rather than take the elevator. (I still can't believe I used to do that!)
I can't even hustle up one flight of stairs now!
I did Wii Fit for a while. I liked it. But there were things about it that bothered me. For one, I almost never got my heart rate up enough to be of any cardio benefit. And secondly, it was heavy on balance... and one of my legs is stronger than the other, and I was having a hard time overcoming that. And then there's the boredom factor... and the 'this thing takes forever to move from one movement to the other' factor. And the lack of resistance!
Enter the EA Sports Active for Wii! It came out yesterday and I was one of those crazy people standing outside Best Buy waiting for it to open. I only got the setup part done yesterday.... telling it my age and weight and making my little person and all that.
Today I got to start it! There are endless options for creating your own workout...including resistance! I was pretty impressed! And no unlocking (like the Wii Fit)! But there was also the option for a 30 day challenge thing. Everything is programmed in for 30 days of workouts and I got to pick the intensity from easy to medium to hard.
I picked easy. And I'm glad I did. Dern. Kicked my hiney.
And I actually got winded and sweaty! Both of which are good things if you're trying to workout. Also... I could do this in the privacy of my own home and didn't have to subject myself to young, fit bods at some workout place. And that kept me from feeling like a doofus doing weird things I don't normally do, too! Hello.. squats!
Well, today is/was the first day. 29 more to go in this little challenge! Hopefully I can stick with it. I have a terrible habit of coming out of the gate strong, and then getting really sloppy with this sort of commitment.
So, I'm hoping I can stay active and challenged for the 30 days and have a little something to show for it!
7 comments:
It seems as if regular exercise is really a matter of finding something you like to do, doesn't it? That's why I quit running - I don't like it! - and I walk A LOT; I love to walk. To tone other areas, I have to push myself, but at least there is a baseline activity that I enjoy. Maybe this will be it for you! I hope you have fun with it.
Years ago I quit smoking every day for eight years. Then, one day along the way, it worked. That was well over 20 years ago. So I'm all about the keep on keeping on method of tackling anything.
You go girl!
Kathleen
good luck on your 30 day routine :) i am like you... i start strong and then become distracted... the new wii thing looks cool- since i didn't stand in line i might have to wait a few more months though!
Dawn... even though I stood out front before the store opened, the display was HUGE and they had a ton of them. So ya might not have to wait to get one! : )
This sounds really cool. I could not get the video to work for me...can you wear shoes for the workout? I have issues w/ my feet and need my sneakers at all times. THis is why I could not do the wii fit or even yoga.
I am excited for you!
Suz,
YES you can wear shoes. Even though I have a Wii Fit, I did not use it with this new Active thing because I knew I had enough of a learning curve without juggling the balance board too. But yes, when you make your little person, you also pick the shoes they're wearing! Although I go barefooted when I do it. I hate shoes in the house. LOL
~kay
I had not heard of that new Wii thingy.
I too Fizzled out with the "Wii Fit" It was great fun to begin with but then it got boring, and I never broke a sweat.
Keep posting your progress. I'd like to check this thing out.
Post a Comment