Mother's Day is upon us once again.
Some years I've avoided it at church altogether.
I get tired of the overly sappy aspects of the holiday. And I also get tired of it being discussed like it's the punchline... with silly poems or jokes to go along with it. I don't usually find it very funny.
I can always catch the eye of a hurting woman that longs to be a mother but her body won't cooperate.
Or the mother with the disabled child that will never be able to really comprehend what his or her mother really does every day.
Or the mother that has buried her child or is living with a very very sick child.
Or the mother who doesn't know her child 'these days' due to rebellion. Truly a way to break a mother's heart.
Or for that matter, any person who is grieving the loss of their own mother.
To me, I would just rather the day go by without any outward fanfare. I'm sure I will get a hug and a card... and that is special enough for me.
But I'd just as soon no one else say anything to me about it. Some days it's just all too personal.
But since we're supposed to say it... Happy Mother's Day. Hug those closest to you ... whomever they may be. And if you can't hug them anymore, then remember them. I'll be remembering right along side you.
5 comments:
Oh Kay....with this mother's day coming up I have often thought of you...and Karen...and the other Mom's who have lost their children. I am sorry this day is sad for you. I hope you get that hug, that kiss and that special card. Sending warm thoughts and sweet prayers your way.
I know it is a bittersweet holiday...
Take care-Suz
God bless you, dear Kay.
Glad I am not the only one! I am skipping morning church and may go to church later when they should be less formal about it all. Definitely not singing in choir tomorrow.
Beautifully articulated and I couldn't agree more.
I'm sorry this is a sad day for you. I pray God will send you a special blessing today that you will find joy in.
Post a Comment