Wednesday, April 8, 2009

she's a junior now

I feel like I need lessons in dressing my kid! I used to feel like I had things down. Cute top and a pair of pants or shorts. Got it! Easy Peezy.

Enter the juniors department.

She's been begging me to take her to some of 'those' stores. You know the ones. Those flashy, noisy, very mall-like, super trendy stores. *sigh* So yesterday I did what any reasonable mom would do and pre-scoped them out without her. She's been begging for tank tops for summer, so I bought her some tanks at Penneys and Justice and came home, hoping for the best. Well....

So today I took back the clothes that didn't fit. By the way, Limited Too just because Justice. And their clothes are adorable and she can still wear their biggest size...even though their prices are high (to me). But their tank tops show her bra. What is up with that?

Everywhere I go lately, I keep asking myself the same questions as I look at the clothes....

How exactly do you wear that?
Do you have to wear a top under it?
Why do you have to wear a top under everything?
Why is this top so low cut?
Just exactly what is that?

I think I'm a reasonably level headed person and in the past, I've had no problems with the shirt and bottoms routine. But now? *sigh*

help.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

All I can say is "I'm praying for ya'"!

My kids are raised and long gone, but if I were facing today's fashions I'd have to move to Antarctica. I doubt the girls would want much showing. Brrrrr!

Be blessed,
Kathleen

Jill said...

I detest the styles right now. I feel like they encourage young girls to advertise that their bodies are available for the taking, which is absolutely the WRONG message! The styles for adults aren't much better. I'll be glad when this trend (hopefully) passes.

Pam said...

Jill,

I totally agree. A friend of mine is holding out for the preppy look to come back! At least those clothes cover all the parts! : )

~kay

HWHL said...

Oh girl.... you and I had the SAME day yesterday! My daughter is 11 and has "graduated" the very "trendy" stores.... specifically Abercrombie and Hollister where the clothes are WAY out of my price range. (I keep thinking "I can buy these SAME jeans at Wal Mart or Ross for $10!!") But kids (girls, especially) get it in their heads SO YOUNG NOW that they want to dress a certain way and look just like all their friends! By the end of their mall excursion I was OVER the overpriced madness at the stores!!! The latest thing here with 5th grade girls is the "skinny jean"... I told my daughter - you're skinny enough! You're already in slim cut jeans! (But apparently, "skinny cut" is the new thing.... SIGH.....)

Thankfully, my son will still accept clothing from Wal Mart, Target and Old Navy. Whew!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Those stores make me bonkers. The fabric is see through. the clothes are the size for my cat. (you know, the rotten cats) and it costs more than my stuff. what is up with that?
And as far as the bras showing? I try so hard to hide mine...but perhaps since my bras cost more than my tops, I should show them also? maybe the kids have it right after all???