Friday, April 10, 2009

life giving blood

Earlier in the day as I was contemplating Easter and all Jesus did for us, He reminded me of my own words. So I hunted through some old emails and found them. I wrote this on February 24, 2001. In other words, we were a little over a month into Bub's treatments.

We are all doing well again. Friday Bub went for his clinic visit for counts. The girls took one look at him and reached for the cream to get his port ready.. he was white as a sheet. (I think "it's Casper!" was their comment. LOL) Even before his official counts came back, we all knew that Bub would be receiving blood Friday. He was very very white. We did counts, saw the dr, waited for the results, got cream, got matched etc, they sent for the blood, they gave him some medicine before giving the blood, accessed his port, and finally gave him the blood. Receiving blood takes about 3 to 4 hours but the whole procedure takes about 6 hours. We were at the clinic from 8:30 to 2:40. He and I were both sooo tired.

It was strange watching him receive the blood. No one in our family has ever had to receive 'blood products' before. I watched him go from white to pink over the course of the whole day.. and also watched his mood improve! (the nurses explained that low counts can result in a grouchy kid--they weren't kidding--LOL) It was amazing! I am seeing what the blood center means when they talk about giving the gift of life! Wow! It's neat the things God has shown me about the blood since then. How we take for granted blood until we need it. It can't be manufactured.. it must come from living donors. Blood is life! Jesus gave His blood so freely for us and we take it so for granted, and it is Life Giving. : ) How beautiful and precious... how humbling.


I think that about says it all.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

You're right: it says it all!

As powerful as the remembrance (and writing) is for you, no doubt it's painful too. Thank you for sharing it anyway.

Huge hug,
Kathleen

Busy Bee Suz said...

Revelations are abound in life....nice to share this with us Kay....I am always amazed how you went through so much already in life and can share life lessons with the rest of us.
take care, suz

Dawn said...

what a lesson to learn... a brave brave lesson... it breaks my heart though, to think of what it cost you... sending prayers your way as you strive to celebrate life.

Gberger said...

Amen to this. Blood is the gift of life, and we saw that blessing, over and over again, in the hospital. Thank God for blood donors...and especially for Jesus!

Smelling Coffee said...

Wow, Kay! How amazing that you could literally see color come back to his little body with the gift of blood. Thank you for sharing that truth and special memory with us.