Saturday, April 25, 2009

lunch

I had lunch yesterday with a sweet friend of mine. We'll call her SF...short for sweet friend. The cleverness never ends, does it? Anyway... I am little surprised these days that she even wants to have anything to do with me. I haven't been much fun lately. But she agreed to meet me for lunch yesterday.

Because that's what SF's do.

Our conversation covered a wide range of topics. We talked about documenting our faith stories for our children. (little does she know about my blog, since none of my IRL friends know about it.. that I know of!) I told her about my recent shot record fiasco. And since she knows the details of the major things stressing me out these days, we talked about that some too. And I could hardly keep from bawling for most of our meal.

I started on some new hormone medication the other day and laughingly told her that I checked to see if mood swings were a side affect and alas they were not. So my crazy emotional state is all me. I don't know whether to say LOL or boo hoo, ya know?

We also talked about how we've both experienced different kinds of losses. And that those losses are teaching us not to hold on to things like our children quite as hard. I nodded in agreement...tears already filling my eyes. Life is fragile.

She is not the first person in the past week I've had that discussion with.

But talking about not holding tightly to our children reminded me of something. Something I have never told her. Something I've never told anybody. I remember very early on in my walk with God, that He was calling me to tell Him that my children were His. I think I knew that mentally and in our denomination, we do what is called a dedication where the parents promise to raise their kids and bring them up to want to know Christ and 'dedicate' our children to God, but for many it is mostly a ceremony and a photo op. And deep down in my heart, I knew I was holding on to my children and so this is why He was calling me to tell Him they were His. I did.

And I grieved. Like a death.

Probably a year or so after that is when neuroblastoma came into our lives. And you know the rest of the story. But I think a part of me grieved that loss long before it was to become a reality. Sometimes people say that my story makes them hold on to their own children tighter.

Don't.

Hold on to HIM tighter. Because He is the one that holds their lives in His hands.

4 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

thank you for your wise words Kay. I am so sorry you are going through so much lately...I wish I could take away some of your worries. But I do thank you for sharing this...you are opening my eyes in ways that you can't imagine!
Hugs, SUZ

Dawn said...

oh kay... your words give hope. i recall my cousin talking about this after her son drown. i think the only way she could bear to think about moving forward was knowing that Connor was His. And she came to realize, and be able to say, that God had given her the gift of a little boy to love for almost three years... and she just had to believe that he was only supposed to be on this earth for that short time. like her, i think you are very brave... to just live.

on another note... sharing your blog with a real-life friend might be okay. a certain Bee only told me about hers afer i told her about my blog :)

Cassie said...

My first visit to your blog...Dawn sent me! Thank you for your sweetness and passing on your wisdom. My daughter is going on 29years old and I still have a hard time every day not calling her just to see how she is doing. (I don't, but I do want to!) When she went on her first mission trip at age 15 to Panama and the jungle I wanted to worry, but she reminded me that the safest place to be is in God's will...how could I worry or argue with that?
Blessings on your head.

Gberger said...

You are right, but we are human, so we seem to need to keep re-learning this...at least, I do.