Thursday, March 5, 2009

it's like they have a different word for everything

When my hubby and I were dating and engaged, he traveled for a work a good bit. And not to.. you know.. Skankyville, USA. where just about evvvvery business trip in America MUST take place No, he got to travel to Germany. More than once. And for weeks at at time. Which of course meant.. getting to see the country on the weekends.

Do you know.. that silly guy never took a single picture. I know. He didn't take a picture of this castle or of the signs all over the place that read "danger for your life. don't go to Turkey". Come on... how could you NOT take a picture of that stuff. I still don't know.

But anyway...travel has it's ups and it's downs. One of those downs, is of course, foraging for food. And in a foreign country, it's especially difficult, since they don't use English all over the place..except for the warnings about Turkey.. and kinda sorta on some road signs... evidently einfahrt and ausfahrt or something like that have nothing whatsoever to do with...um bodily functions...but exiting and entering the autobahn or something. Who knew!

Now where was I... oh yes... menus! The foreign menu. The bane of the business traveler's existence. Do you think that word is 'chicken' or something else??? On one trip with a co-worker, this guy fussed and complained about the menu. To which my husband wittily replied it's like they have a different word for everything! So true.

***insert awkward segway segue here*** and then we had kids. And boy do they say some weird things. I remember when both the kids were very small, we were putting them to bed. I was reading and praying with Miss Boo while Daddyman was doing the same with Bub. Suddenly an exasperated hubby came into Boo's room asking for the book "All the Things That You Need". I assured him that we did not own such a book. But Bub was very persistent. So we started searching the bookcase. We finally figured it out.. it was "All the Thinks You Can Think" by Dr. Seuss. A tad different.

We also liked to eat at Chick-fil- a and on days that Bub's counts were good, sometimes we would treat ourselves to some chicken. Bub always called bbq sauce 'baa-q' sauce. It was so stinkin' cute! And then one day we were sitting down at the table and he asked for BARbeque sauce. We corrected him and asked him if he meant baaa-q sauce. His reply was "no, BooBoo toe me it was barbeque sauce". Thanks BooBoo.

One day a few years ago, we were out and saw some public displays of affection... or P.D.A.'s, if you will. So of course, the hubs and I are saying "PDA PDA PDA"!. We're so mature. Later on, Boo Boo thought she saw something and started running around yelling "FBI FBI FBI"! So now and forever more... PDA's are affectionately known around our house as FBI's.

But in order to keep the record straight.... Enjoy!

3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

SOOO funny. I love this whole post..I thought at first you meant that MEN have a different word for everything (which I still have not figured out that language either) I love the kids stories...bbq, Fbi, so cute.
Some of those words still stick with us...Lo's 2nd Christmas she could not say Santa, she said Lay-La so, 15 years later, we still say Lay-La. ;)
love the skit guys...so cute.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Funny stuff, Kay! "It's like they have a different word for everything" cracked me up. You can tell an American uttered those words. Very funny. I have never heard of the Skit Guys, either. "P-Doesn't"!

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at the made up words. For instance, my son loves to call everything a "Bapone." And there for a while a REALLY NASTY name to call someone was "Headed Boy" (we put a stop to that one real quick!)
Where does this stuff come from? :)