Sunday, March 15, 2009

why do I do this?

Somebody asked me the other day why I do this blog thing. I honestly didn't know the exact reason why. I thought about it for a long time before I took the plunge, so to speak. I knew I saw a community out there that I wanted to be a part of. It looked too fun for one thing. And I also saw some very real faith out there too. There were certain stories I gravitated toward and wondered if I had anything to contribute. I guess there are several reasons why I do this...

One of the reasons is because sometimes it's nice to have someone to share things with. The kind of stuff that sometimes makes IRL (in real life) friends uncomfortable. An example of that would be grief.

And yet, I wouldn't say that this blog is about grief. I have my moments, but that's not really who I am. And my IRL friends know that. But still there are times when I feel the need to share things or have an outlet but I wouldn't necessarily want to burden an IRL friend, if that makes sense. I know sometimes when I am having a Bub moment, I feel like I'm dumping on them or I don't want them to feel like they don't know what to say. Even though that's ok. And yet I've taken this journey of grief and God has shown me a thing or two about it... and beautifully carried me places I didn't even know I could go. And He continues to give me more of Himself in this process.

Sometimes God has things to say. Maybe about grief. Maybe about life. Or about a verse I've been reading. Or a certain topic. I try to be open to what He wants to say and often use this as a way to put down 'on paper' the things God is showing me. And I think that's pretty amazing.

But other days, I'm in a funny mood. Not that I'm all that funny, mind you. But you know what I mean. Sometimes when life happens, God lets us see the funny side of it. And that's pretty cool too.

And other days I'm stressed out or needing God and it feels better just to come here and say so. Some days I'm just in a tizzy about the crazy lady at Walmart, ya know?

And still other days... wow I sound a little scattered. Sometimes I wonder about my 'blog voice'. I feel like such a serious writer saying that. Which makes me laugh. **pause LOL** Ok... where was I.. oh yes... I read other people's blogs and they seem to have a more consistent voice. And then I read mine and I feel like I'm all over the place. Am I?

Anyway...that's who I am. And why I do this. Who are you? Why do you do this?

3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

well, if you are all over the place, then what does that say about me????
I love reading your thoughts, whether they are about the lady at walmart or your sadness.
Your blog is your blog. Does not matter what you write. It is yours.
I use mine as a creative outlet. Plus, I love that my kids read it and they think I am funny now. Even after me TELLING them for years..they finally believe me.
Really, I do it to keep the day to day memories from being forgotten....cause the ol' brain cells are dwindling.
keep up the good work.

Jill said...

I try to be "all over the place" with mine. That's what makes it interesting. I blog for many of the same reasons you do. I've found it to be very therapeutic. It helps me think things through that I might otherwise just let slide by. Plus it's kind of a journal of my life. Maybe I'll come back and read it years from now and think, "Wow, look how far I've come!"

Dawn said...

Gosh, I think you have a beautiful "blog voice". I find your blog very easy to read. You are not all over the place and scattered like I am. I jump from one thing to another and back again.
Like Busy Bee Suz said, Your blog is your blog. You do with it what you want to. All that matters is that you like it.
It's a GREAT way to express yourself.

You are doing GREAT!

Huggles, ~Dawn