I also made big dinners Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights. Well kinda anyway. Wednesday I made turkey burgers. It's not exactly a big meal, but it makes six patties and I didn't have to freeze the extras like I do when I make it for 'just us'. And Friday night I made roasted chicken and veggies with rice. It was all very good. Oh yes.. and birthday cake.
And Thursday night I just made a roast. Well...not just a roast. But the best roast ever! There's a story behind The. Best. Roast. Ever. One day early in my married life, I was visiting a friend. She and I would hang out all day sometimes in her kitchen while she did this or that.. or worked on a craft project or something. It was a fun time for us and sometimes I don't know if we realized it or not. Anyway... one day I was over there and after a while I mentioned I was beginning to get hungry. Now this girl has always been sort of the grandmotherly type, or maybe she's just a good southern girl, because she always had a little something on hand if the munchies set in. So she proceeded to tell me my 'options' from her freezer. And one of them was roast. I kinda just sat there. Roast??? Well. ok. I guess.
I had eaten my fair share of roast growing up and I was not too impressed with it, to tell you the truth. The gravy was always kinda watery and the meat wasn't always tender and it was a bit of a hassle to make. So when she said roast, it didn't conjure up the best images.
But my options were few that day. So I decided I
These are the two key ingredients! Tony's Creole Seasoning and
You put the roast in and sprinkle some Tony's on it. If you're more liberal
Then you cut up some potatoes and put them around the roast. After that you mix up the gravy mixes with water in a shaker container (or put it in a measuring cup and stir with a fork to get out most of the clumps etc) and pour it over the meat and potatoes. I then refill the container with water and pour over it all until the gravy just about covers most of the stuff in the crock pot. I know this runs against all the crock pot wisdom that's out there about not needing to add liquids bla bla bla. But hello..you're making dinner and gravy too! Put it on high for a little while to kick start the cooking and then turn it to low 'all day'... or 8 or so hours.
Here's what I do when it's time to eat. I take out the meat and potatoes and put them in a dish and cover them with foil to keep them warm and let the meat 'rest'. Then ladle some of the gravy into a sauce pan and start bringing it to a boil. While that's happening, I take some cornstarch and water and mix that together... probably about 1 1/2 tablespoons of each...I'm just guessing...and pour that into the gravy and stir with a whisk. It will thicken up pretty quickly.
I usually make dinner rolls to take advantage of the deee-lish gravy. And a salad or steamed broccoli is nice to go along side. Gather the fam. Your dinner is ready!
Can I come over?
4 comments:
that sounds delish. I always put liquids in my crockpot...I thought I was supposed to. ;)
I love the idea of using the gravy packets though...I have not heard of that seasoning...I will be looking for it.
Thanks for sharing.
Suz
Sounds good! I may have to try it. It's a lot simpler than my roast recipe.
Boy, that sounds good. It's early morning, and my mouth is watering!
Happy Birthday! Glad that you had such a fun week with your family.
OMGosh! I'm SOOOOOO going to try to make that roast! It looks so easy and YUMMYFUL!!!! As Emril says.... Oh baby!
~Dawn
Post a Comment