Monday, May 11, 2009

just three

We had a good weekend. Saturday we went out to eat. Nothing shocking there. I have declared for just about forever that Saturday is my day off. So I don't cook on that day unless there is some sort of emergency or something.

We ate at a place we've eaten at dozens of times. Simple food and surroundings. There's a bonus reason the meal was great and it doesn't have anything to do with the food or the service. Sometimes greeters say something when we walk in the door and it puts a bad taste in my mouth before I even sit down and look at the menu. But she didn't say it Saturday even though I was bracing for it. I was glad.

The first time it happened, it didn't seem so odd. It was the first time we had eaten out after Bub died and it was a place we ate at A LOT. So the greeter knew our faces. So even though it broke our hearts a little bit for her to say just three, it didn't surprise us that much. But the strange thing is, that's not the only time it's happened to us. It happens frequently. Still. And these people don't even know us. I know!

Yep, just three.

Every time I hear a greeter say that, I want to take her by the arm and give her a little talking to about how you can say something and not know what you're really saying. But I don't. I know it's innocent to them. But still...why would they say it anyway... three is enough. We are still a unit. A family.

Just three.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

oh kay... this just about breaks my heart. to think about two words that can bring on such raw emotion... even though three may be standing there... i know you will always be four.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wow. I never even think about things like this either.
Why just three? Why not just four? Just five?
Linds and I went out for dinner on Saturday. Jeff and Lo were at softball still and the greeter did say to us: Only two?
AND it was the first time we have ever been there......so it must just be a common way to greet.
Something else for me to ponder....
take care,
suz

Gberger said...

Yes, I understand this...my heart goes out to you, friend. God bless you!