Thursday, January 8, 2009

cleaning house

I've been doing a lot of house cleaning. Lots of throwing away. Putting away the clutter. Giving things a way that we no longer need. And yesterday, I cleaned off enough dust to create a whole family of dust bunnies. Ick. No wonder my asthma was driving me batty.

Last night I was so tired, I could barely move. I had cleaned and scrubbed until I was sore all over. By 9pm it was Oh-vah for me. But I was so thankful. Not just for the clean-ER house, but to be so tired I couldn't do anything. That changes my frame of mind. It brings me to call out to God in a different way. A needy way. The way He wants us to call out to Him on a daily basis. But when I am up and going and doing, I feel self sufficient, although I know I'm not. I am needy all the time. That helpless all the time. And I need to call out to Him in that way all the time. (not just when I feeeel that way)

So I'm thankful for cleaning house. Not because it looks better, but because of what God was showing through it. I don't want to get to feeling so self sufficient that I miss out on all God wants to be and do and live out in the coming year.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wonderful life-lessons often come wrapped in the simplicities of the day.

Great reminder!

Kathleen

Gberger said...

That is another example of why cleaning is so good for us. It's highly underrated. There is a saying, "Pray and work" (I wish I knew Latin, but it's something like Orare et labore), and I think cleaning can be a great practice with/for prayer.