I read Donna's post this morning and it inspired me! I got out my WiiFit and gave it whirl. Right when we got it, we all took our turn on it everyday. And then life happened and it got pushed aside and you know what happened next. I haven't been on it in months.
I had been thinking I needed to do something. One of the first posts I ever did was about dieting and needing to lose weight. And I still do. As a matter of fact, I weighed 7.5 lbs more now than I did the last time I stepped on my WiiFit. ugh. Not to mention the things I can't even do anymore or worse yet.. my calculated 'age'. Double ugh. It's a discipline I've gotten out of the habit of and I need to get back into it again.
But not just the habit of stepping on the Fit. Discipline produces discipline. I know that since I worked up a sweat this morning and had to turn on my ceiling fan IN THE DEAD OF WINTER.. that I probably won't want to pig out at any point today. Isn't it cool how that works?! But not just for physical disciplines.. spiritual ones too. Everyone is making their resolutions of reading the Bible through or memorizing or whatever. And I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. It took me three years to read the Bible through. Some things I had read multiple times and other things not at all. So when I finally was able to cross off that last book, I was elated! God had taken me through the entire Bible.
I didn't know what my goals were going to be this year. I'd read a blog or two and come up with different ideas, but couldn't decide. Since I completed the Bible the first time, I had begun to be a willy nilly reader. And I had lost a lot of discipline in that area. And I had begun to rely on books rather than the Bible for a lot of my spiritual nourishment. (not that there is anything wrong with books, but they should supplement your diet... not be made up of it) I finally decided I would make a new 'list' and begin working my way through again. I am excited. I hope I make it through in less than three years. Whatever the length of time it takes me is ok. I know that He is filling me along the way. And I want reading and feasting on His word to be a pleasure, not a task to try to get done everyday.
So tomorrow, I hope to hop back on the WiiFit. And I also hope to spend even more time in God's word too.
5 comments:
Hi Kay... I have been thinking of getting a wii for just this reason. I'm sure it's more expensive to join a gym, and this is something at can do at home when it suits My day and time!!
Great thoughts!!
Don't hesitate to start back with Genesis when you finish Revelation. God can and will show you new things each time you go through. That's the great thing about His Word -- it's always, new, fresh and relevant.
Jill.. yes that is soo true. I'm so glad He can make it new every time.
~kay
The Bible in a year, while a wonderful goal, is just not realistic for me, personally. I read slowly so it's just hard. Take your time & enjoy it. I've finally picked up Psalms again after about a month off... been working through that since May.
I'll be checking back in with you about your Wii Fit progress. :) Discipline is so hard sometimes.
Donna,
I couldn't agree more. It does seem like a huge goal to read the whole Bible in a year. Ya have to know that people miss things along the way and don't get much out of it since the clock is ticking, so to speak. I don't intend to rush. I'm a slow 'eater' too. : )
~kay
Post a Comment