Wednesday, January 28, 2009

snow day of 09

So we ended up with a "snow" day... which basically turned out to be a thin layer of ice. It threatened yesterday and the school let out at noon because they seemed to be expecting it any minute. There was much rejoicing all the way home in the car. It fiiiinally hit late in the evening. So today is our 'full snow day'. Of course, here in Texas, ice or snow of any kind is a major freak out, run to Walmart and stock up EVENT. Except I didn't run to Walmart and now we're out of bread. So here we are on day two of our 'weather event'... which is more like day one since we were already snug as a bug in a rug last night when it all actually started. The temp has finally crept to 33* and with full sun, the ice is melting like rain from the trees and eaves. So basically... the event is over. The hubs stayed home and is doing a Chick-fil-a run for us as I type.

Yesterday I had planned on staying in, so I made the best of it and got a little sewing project done.

With a little bit of 'help'.


Action shot!

And watching it fall on the floor (and yes my dining room is a mess in the pics.. I had 'project stuff' scattered all over AND the table was a mess from homework and studying.. that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!)



Do you like my pin cushion? You'll never guess what it's made out of! OK.. I'll tell ya...wait for it..wait for it.... it's made from a two liter screw top lid! And scrap fabric, batting, glue, a sharp punch, some elastic and some ribbon. Can you figure out how to wear it? I'll give you a hint... my other rings are tiny in comparison..yes.. it's worn like a ring on my finger. So it's always at the ready. Can you say handy?






And these are the results! A finished curtain.. I hate looking at what I think of as window guts.. the blinds and icky stuff at the top of the window. And now it's hidden! Turned out cute.. of course the shape of it isn't rocket science or anything. It's an easy one, but it does the trick and it looks cute in Miss Boo's new room!
Looking forward to having Chick-fil-a after being trapped for 24 whole hours by the horrible ice storm of 09. Yeah right.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Hello, my name is Dawn. I came across your blog this afternoon, and read a little bit about you.

First let me say I am sorry for your loss.
We have something in common. I have 2 teenage daughters and a son who passed away about 18 months ago. He was not ill. He died from a horrible accident.
I'm still dealing with his death. Some days are very very hard for me.
So I guess why I am writing to you is because I don't know anyone else who knows what it is like to loose a child. I'm always looking for friends, and it just seemed like you and I could connect.


~Dawn

Jill said...

We had a snow day too, over almost nothing. There are still a few small patches here and there, but the roads never did get covered. I like your valance. I made them for almost every room when we moved in. They're so simple and look so much better than just plain blinds.

Dawn said...

Thank you Kay.
I really appreciate you helping me out. My son's accident was the day after his 5th birthday.

I hope you don't mind that I put your blog on my reading list?

~Dawn

Gberger said...

That is awesome, and beautiful! She must be so happy with it.
I love your "helper." Latte is obsessed with pens, pencils...and the other night, he got David's toothbrush from his bathroom and brought it downstairs. I heard a strange noise, and found him playing "soccer" with it in the hall. Crazy cats!

Pam said...

Dawn,

I don't mind at all! : )

Karen,

Your comment cracks me up! When we were getting ready to get our cat, we had to find another place to keep the toothbrushes b/c we kept them in a cup on the counter and knew that would not cut it! Now we keep them in a drawer. lol

Our kitty likes thread and nibbles it whether it's attached to the machine or the fabric at the time. lol Yep..cats are something else!

~kay~