Wednesday, January 21, 2009

breaking in a new Bible-a how to

My daughter and I went yesterday to purchase a new Bible for her. She had a pink Bible that just had the text and had been asking for something better. There is nothing more daunting than trying to decide exactly what kind to buy though. I studied what was out there and more than that, I prayed about it and finally decided on what to buy. There had been something within me that kept saying I 'ought to' get a hip, teen Bible for her. But I'm thankful I resisted that urge and found her a wonderful study Bible with lots of helps that will carry her into adulthood... especially since it doesn't have advice about boys and eye shadow amongst the pages.

When we got home, I got the privilege of showing her how to break in a new leather Bible. Someone told me this several years ago and I've used the technique on all my Bibles since. But I had not seen this info anywhere...until the other day I saw it in small print in the back of one of my old Bibles.. not the first place I would look for its care and keeping. And this new Bible has a website that I logged on to and it gave the exact same instructions. So I've gotten it verified in two places! LOL

Anyway.. here's what you do:

Hold the Bible with the spine on the table and the sides of the pages facing up. Begin by folding open the front and back covers and gently pressing them against the table while holding the rest of the pages up in middle still. Gather a few sheets from the beginning of the book and press them gently against the table near the binding (while holding the remainder of the pages 'up' still). Gather a few sheets from the end of the book and press them gently against the table at the binding (while holding the remainder of the pages 'up' still). Proceed gathering and flattening a few pages at a time from the beginning and the end until you have nothing left. The Bible should be folded open approximately in the Psalms when you are done.

Your new Bible is now broken in and ready to use. What this does is gently open the binding a little at a time rather than the first time you open it flat to Psalms or something and it cracks right down the center and ruins the binding the first time out of the gate. Like I said, I've used this technique on several leather Bibles and they've all held up well.

And now for a book marker tip... this is what I use. They last a pretty long time and I can position them at the exact spot I left off. I use them for all my reading. And they don't fall out! Very handy!

Breaking in my new Bible bindings works for me. For other tips and tricks, visit Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great tip, I wouldn't think to look in the back of the bible either. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great tip! It's just about time for me to search for a new bible - this is helpful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tip! My husband is really hard on bibles, and hopefully this will help them to last a little longer! I've bookmarked it for the next time we get a new bible.

Unknown said...

Great tip. I do this with all books.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

What a great tip! Thanks for sharing. My poor bible is falling apart and I'll need this advice when I finally purchase a new one.

Xandra