Wednesday, January 13, 2010

BSF and some sneaky grief

A friend of mine invited me to BSF (Bible Study Fellowship).  I’ve heard wonderful things about it. And I’ve even been to an intro meeting before, but I’ve never joined. 

I know several women IRL that go to BSF there.  I also know Donna, who goes there as well. Donna found me and sat with me through the lecture part.  *clang* (that sound you hear is my worlds colliding!)

After the lecture, I went to find my friend that invited me. She works in the children’s area, so to say hi to her meant going to the childrens’ wing of the building.  We used to belong to the church where the meeting is held when our kids were very small.  As a matter of fact, hubs and I met and married there as well.  So we have a leeetle bit of history with those walls.

So I chatted with Donna as we headed to the childrens area. I told her that Bub went to mother’s day out in that  childrens area.  As a matter of fact, when I picked him up from what would turn out to be his last day of MDO, I noticed something odd about him. That started the wheel rolling to get his diagnosis. His last classroom there was ‘the last room on the left’.

My friend was working in… the last room on the left.

The walls have been painted in some new funky colors so it doesn’t exactly look like it used to.  But it still felt very odd.  I talked to my friend outside her room for a minute and then she had to go.  It was hard for me to talk to her without choking up. I was standing in the exact spot where our lives began to cave in.  How do you just stand there thinking about that? 

But I did.  With tears in my eyes.  And a bit of a quivering voice.

And then I walked out and came on home.

We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. 2 Cor 4:7.

Yes.. I *heart* this verse.  : )

9 comments:

Dawn said...

i cannot imagine standing there in your shoes, kay... to be able to pinpoint the unravel. brave girl to keep on standing... really brave. sending you a hug and a prayer... that the sneaky grief washed your heart with a sweet memory along with the sorrow...

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh Kay...I just can't imagine all that was going on in your head or your heart.
**Hugs** to you my friend.
Sneaky grief, is not a good friend.

Beckypdj said...

It is God's power that enables us to stand. He is great and greatly to be praised!!!

Oh Kay, there are times I feel like Peyton is everywhere, but he isn't, only the memories. Sorry for your hurt, but so glad you know the greater One in you.

Hugs
Becky

Gberger said...

I love that verse, too; thank you for the reminder.
I understand what you are saying. It's not predictable (where or when it will happen), but the potential for grief "attacks" is all around us. It's part of life, now, and you are NOT alone. I hope that awareness comforts you. {{{HUGS}}}

KarenK said...

Oh my heart. Thank goodness we have a Father in Heaven who knows this grief and who holds both your grieving heart and your sweet boy right this minute.

Thanks for de-lurking today. :) I look forward to visiting here again.

Dawn said...

<<<<>>>>>

Kay...I'm sorry that crept up on you like that.

Jill said...

Maybe God is opening some old wounds so He can heal them.

I would credit BSF with being the #1 thing that has helped me grow in my faith and as a person. I did it for 8 1/2 years, including 2 years as a leader. It takes commitment, but I think it's worth it. I'm praying about whether to go back next year when they offer a new study, Isaiah.

Cheryl Barker said...

Sometimes we just never know when grief is going to sneak up on us, do we? So glad our Father carried you through the other day!

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Its amazing that you can still have those painful firsts after years. Just when you think you've gone through all the painful firsts without your boy... another one sneaks up on you.

I agree with Jill. Don't just put a bandaid, but let His true healing wash over you as you sit at his feet the way Mary did.