Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas tree ‘09

Every year we usually put up our tree right after Thanksgiving.  When I was a kid, it seemed like we were the last family I knew to put up the tree and that drove me nuts, so now that it’s up to me, we do it early. I love it. 

When we were first married, I wanted a blue and mauve tree, since my house was ‘country blue and mauve’. (I have since been liberated, thankyouverymuch, but hey, it was a long time ago!)  Anyway, I wanted non traditional colors on my tree and there were none to be had.  At least none that I could get MY hands on.  So I made my own. They weren’t all that fancy and I’ve since thrown them out, but I have the pictures. It was ‘cute’.  And I guess at the time, that’s what I was going for.  A friend and I were discussing this yesterday, and I was telling her how Hobby Lobby carries every color of ornament you can imagine now and how I must have just been ahead of the times.  She was as well, since she had a stunning mauve and crystal tree before she had kids.  NOW her tree is traditional red and gold etc. (But she still has the other stuff.)  I used to decorate that tree with her on a Friday night back in the day. And then usually spend another Friday night together with her hanging out putting it all away when the season is over.  NOW she decorates it with her family and I usually end up helping her put it all away sometime in January.  LOL

This year seemed a bit like the passing of the torch.  Instead of me doing most of it and directing Boo as to where things go, we just told her to have at it and every now and then we would point out a ‘hole’ and she hurried to fill it. She did a great job and it turned out really pretty.  Every year hubs would pick Boo up and let her put the angel on top of the tree.  This year she stood on the arm of the couch and did it herself.  I’m sure hubs is glad she did it that way!  She’s grown! LOL

There are lots of special dated ornaments on the tree. Things both kids picked out through the years. Things we picked on vacations etc.  Here are a few….

P1010667

There are several kitty ornaments… of course.

P1010668

And some mice.  Most of my mice didn’t even make the tree this year. I’m thinking about getting a smaller tabletop tree and doing it just in mice… just for me.  : )

P1010664

And some vacation ones… of course Disney!

P1010666

And this year was DC…well that ornament is of Mount Vernon, but it still counts.  : )

P1010671

Here’s the whole thing.  Yes we have a ‘skinny tree’… but we love it.  We don’t have to move any furniture and it fits nicely in a corner where we can all enjoy it.  This is our second skinny tree and this one doesn’t shine the lights as brightly, so I’m not as pleased with it overall.

P1010663

And then there’s the kitty enjoying our work.  : )

7 comments:

Beckypdj said...

Very festive!!!! I guess I will always decorate our tree myself. Peyton liked the tree and even made some ornaments, but didn't have any interest in decorating. Probably a boy thing. My husband does put the trees together for me. They are so heavy with the lights on them, but definitely worth it.

Hope your Christmas season is off to a great start!!!

Cheryl Barker said...

I loved reading about your Christmas trees, past and present. When we were first married, we used Don's family's old aluminum tree. That was the ultimate sacrifice for me as my family always used real trees. Don and I were still in college, though, and pinching pennies so desperate times called for desperate measures :) We still have an artifical tree, but at least it looks like a real tree now :)

Enjoy the season!

Kathleen said...

My own tree looks about the same every year. Yet every year it just tickles me pink when at last it's decorated. I stare at it, and I grin.

I know you had a blast making this year's tree special. Kitty is such a classy touch!

Kathleen

Busy Bee Suz said...

Great job Kay. Our cats love laying under the tree too..they somehow think the dogs don't see them???
The girls and I did our tree together...as usual. I ended up doing a second smaller tree just for all the home made ornaments and one for the 'pretties. I like a tall/skinny tree too, they take up less space, that is the case with ours too. I call it the "super model" tree. :) It looks hungry as well!!!

Gberger said...

Your cat makes me want to give it a big kiss. Such a solid, happy-looking cat! That spot under the tree is a favorite.

Jill said...

Beautiful! I did a Victorian tree with pink and white ornaments for a couple of years when I was single. I'm sure my husband wouldn't go for that at all now, so the pink ornaments have been gotten rid of, but I thought they looked really pretty!

Diana Ferguson said...

Cute! Such fun to see everyone's trees!!