Sunday, December 27, 2009

white Christmas

We planned a little getaway for ourselves. There is a hotel near us with an indoor waterpark. We thought that would be a fun thing to do, so we planned our trip to arrive there on Wednesday evening and return on Christmas morning.  Well…

It started snowing around lunch on Thursday.  We watched out every window as we played and enjoyed the resort.

P1010765

And then finally things took a nasty turn for the worse and we pulled the plug on our second night, checked out and came on home. 

P1010770

The drive home was tedious at best and we even slipped a couple of times. We made it home safely and then had to navigate our steep driveway.  After three or four tries, we made it safely in.  We unloaded and got bunkered in for our white Christmas.

It was beautiful.  And it may be the only one we see here in our lifetimes too. The weather man said it’s been 83 years since there was a white Christmas where we live.

It was enough snow to be messy, but not quite enough to build a snowman in.  Since we got back home in the dark on Thursday evening, we didn’t play outside.  Friday morning we just enjoyed the snow from the window.  It was pretty from inside and we didn’t get cold. : )  I did take a couple pics from the dining room window of the backyard though. woo hoo.

It really was a very unusual holiday.  It’s a long story… for another day.  But I will say that we really enjoyed just getting out, relaxing and being able to spend more time with each other.  Hubs is off work until after the new year and we’ve been enjoying some family time.  And that’s good. Whatever time of year it is.  *smile*

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

What fun! It's no fun to have blustery weather when you HAVE to be outdoors or driving in it, but when it comes at such an opportune time it's a wonderful embellishment, especially to the holidays.

Enjoy your closing week of 2009!

Kathleen

Busy Bee Suz said...

Well, sometimes our best layed plans are MESSED up. Thanks to Mother Nature...but it looks like you had a nice time anyway.
Enjoy the hubs being home..you should all just chill until 2010!!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New YEar!

Beckypdj said...

We had a white Christmas too, very unusual for us.

Tom & I are thinking we will really change up our holiday next year. We'll have to wait and see if we are brave enough to go against "tradition"

Wade's World said...

I'm jealous! I've never had a white Christmas, and considering that I live smack dab in the middle of the deep south, I probalby never will!

Happy New Year!

Jill said...

It's almost unheard of to have a white Christmas here too, but we had a few flurries that day. I have a feeling we're in for a bad winter. We saw a LOT of snow while traveling (blog coming).