…. or smooshing her head real tight… helps the medicine go down in the most undelightful way.
I know… lame. But it’s one of those either you’ll laugh about it or it will become more of a nasty job than it already is sort of things. So today we’re laughing at my smoosh-faced kitty. Say what you will, but she swallows the nasty pill and we can move on with our lives. : )
*added* We have a "pill popper" thingy... used to stick the pill into the back of her mouth. But she has still got to swallow it. Hence the smooshy face part! : ) We do the 'blow on her nose' thing too. We can't tell if it works, but we do it a few times anyway. LOL
Have a great weekend everybody!
6 comments:
With our dog Macy we've found that if you stick a pill towards the back of her throat, clamp her jaws shut tightly, and then blow directly into her nose, she will swallow a pill with no trouble at all.
The same method used on a human would probably be considered torture!
Oh, and your squishy faced kitty looks thrilled at what's going on!
This is never a fun job. Squishing the face is needed. :)
Lo and I just gave all 3 cats a pill and a 1/2 a few weeks ago...it took both of us.
I did learn that after you gently SHOVE the pill in their mouth, you blow on their face too and they have to swallow. it works. :)
You had me LOL! We had to do this to Latte with liquid antibiotics a few weeks ago - not fun for ANYONE!
Karen... the liquids are the WORST. Either it gets flung all over the place or there's that foaming at the mouth thing. And I can't forget the other 'favorite' part of giving liquids.... "what's that sticky spot on the floor???" because of all the dripping and dribbling. : p
Chalk one up for dogs: they're SLIGHTLY easier to give pills to. Some dog medicine companies have gotten smart and made them taste good so the dog will eat them willingly, though I have one dog who won't be outsmarted too easily. I sometimes have to push the pill to the very back of her mouth and hold it closed until she swallows. My other dog is very cooperative and will chew up even the worst-tasting pills, though he sometimes gives me looks, like "why in the world do you want me to eat something that tastes so bad?" ( :
I have the solution for you.
Into your petstore, or even the vet office they make these things by "Greenies" that are called "pill pockets" They work GREAT.
It's a smooshy little tasty treat that you put the pill inside of and smoosh it closed then you feed it to your pet.
I have to give my dog one twice a day because of her meds.
They make them for cats too.
I highly recommend them.
Downfall of the product is it costs about $8.00 for 30 of them.
http://www.greenies.com/en_US/Products/FelinePillPockets.aspx
Post a Comment