Friday, October 16, 2009

frosted glass, a DIY

I’ve had a bee in my bonnet about a few things at my house, so I decided to get busy and do some DIY projects today. I haven’t been motivated in forever to do these little things until I read a new blog, Shanty 2 Chic, and boy have I ever been inspired!

When we redid our kitchen a few years ago, the contractor told me that I just had to have some cabinet doors with glass in them, so I could put pretty things behind it. Well, that is all fine and good, but over the years, I’ve realized I needed that area for storage more than for pretty things. And looking through that glass has been quite an eyesore for a while now. See…

P1010495

All the pretty stuff had been moved out of the way in favor of practical things. Well I certainly don’t mind practicality,but it bothered me every time I looked through the glass of that one cabinet. (there is glass on the other side as well as this cabinet hangs over the bar peninsula area)

I knew I wanted to change things, but couldn’t decide exactly how. I thought about lining the glass with fabric leftover from when I made the curtains, but then I couldn’t decide the easiest best way to go about that. Velcro? no. Mounting it onto foam core and wedging it in place? no. Nothing sounded easy or practical enough for me. And also the fabrics are pretty dark and I didn’t want to make those doors seem dark and heavy.

I was stuck.

Until I went to Home Depot and Lowes and Walmart this morning in search of some spray paint for a couple more projects. That’s when I found IT.

P1010493

So I bought some! In the garage I had some old entertainment center doors from a hundred years ago, so I practiced on one of those to see if I could do it to my satisfaction. And thankfully, YES I CAN! Here is the practice door.

P1010492

I forgot to take pics of the door with painters tape and sale flyers around the edges to protect the wood. But it worked great! It looks better in person than it does in this photo. So, since I figured I could do it without totally messing up my nice cabinet doors or the glass, I had hubby take down both the cabinet doors and I got busy prepping them.

P1010494

I didn’t want to take the doors out until they were ready to spray. I needed to get the edges protected and then clean the glass very well. So I did all of this on the kitchen table with a thick throw under the door, to protect the door and the table. It also slid around easily while I was working on it. Bonus!

P1010496

Here is one of them drying (on the recycle bin) after I took the sale flyers and paint tape off. We don’t even get the paper, so I had to rummage through the mail today to find something to cover the wood with. (I think it’s a bit funny that I used Lowe’s sale flyers but bought my spray stuff at Home Depot! LOL)

P1010498

Here it is all finished! The glass isn’t completely obscured, but you can’t read the labels either. And light can still travel through, which was important to me. I think it turned out great. And it was pretty easy too. Even *I* could do it!

**small note** This product doesn't etch the glass. It just adds a frosted film to the glass. I can use the proper solvent and restore it's original look.

7 comments:

Gberger said...

That looks awesome - what a great idea. I love DIY, when I can figure it out. =) Have a great weekend.
P.S. My furrybaby is recuperating in the laundry room (the cats' room). He was very vocal with his displeasure in the car on the way home, but we made it! We have antibiotics to give him 2x a day, and he has an open spot on his flank, but that is what the doc ordered: air dry.

Beckypdj said...

Clever gal. I like it. I did watermark some of my pics today. Thanks for the help :)

Dawn said...

hey Kay! that looks great. and i love that you can change your mind and make the glass clear again if you want!

Karen said...

Beautiful and practical!! Great idea and well-executed!! I hope you are very impressed with yourself, because you should be. Very impressive.

Jill said...

Wow -- it looks great! I didn't know such a product existed. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Susan said...

Great job! Doesn't it feel great when you do something like that yourself? I love staring at it and thinking, "I did that!" Have a great weekend.

Susan

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is awesome Kay. I love how you solved the problem and made it pretty too!!!
Plus, I can't stop giggling thinking about you having a "bee in your bonnet"!!!
:) You are too cute.