Monday, October 5, 2009

Buzz Lifeyear

We’ve been seeing the ads for Toy Story One AND Two in 3D. We loved TS 1. So much so that we bought it when it came out on video… not dvd….yes girls, that was back in the olden days. And when TS 2 came out, we took one or both of the kids to see it. I can’t even remember at this point. I want to say it was both, but he would have been pretty young at that point.

But whether he saw it at the theater or not, he would become very very familiar with it! It was one of the movies they played constantly on hospital tv. Over and over. Did I mention it played a lot?!

We have many stories about watching this movie. My hubby reminded me of one of them last night. One weekend we were inpatient for chemo and I had gone home for something and they brought him some lunch. It was spaghetti. And he ate it all. That is the only meal he EVER ate at the hospital. And he did it while he watched TS 2.

Another time we were in clinic and it was playing. I was watching this sweet, beautiful, vibrant, teenaged young lady and her mother watching the movie together. It came to the line that says something like “we know who you are, Wooooood-EEEEE” and the mother and daughter were lip syncing that line to each other and giggling. I giggled at/with them and we chatted a bit about watching the movie all. the. time. at the hospital. (This amazing girl lost her battle too. I found out about it on the news and it broke my heart into a million little pieces. I hardly knew them.. just their faces… but that’s just it.. I couldn’t forget her mom’s face.)

And strangely enough, we also chose to watch the movie at home…even when no one was twisting our arm. We just liked it! And Bub especially loved watching it at home because he liked to act out the Buzz Lightyear intro thing near the start of the movie. We tried to get it on video, but were never able to capture it. He would do these little runs up and down the hall and these little body rolls and it was just hilarious! And what made it even funnier was that he called him Buzz LIFEYEAR instead of Lightyear. Cracked us up… in that cute little toddler/preschooler way. I so wish we had that on video now.

To infinity eternity and beyond, sweet boy.

9 comments:

Tonya said...

I'm with you, Sweet Sister, SO MANY memories built around that movie (and hospitals). Brent LOVED it!! He had a toy "Woody" that he carried EVERYWHERE! (What I wouldn't give to have that silly little doll now)

I wanted to let you know that I'll be doing a giveaway on October 28 in celebration of Brent's life. Come on over and get your name in the hat if you'd like.. my FAVORITE gift is a complete Bible on CD. (The details are on my blog)

Have a WONDERFUL week!
♥ YOU

Beckypdj said...

Sweet post. I have thought about watching some Disney movies on several occasions, but haven't. Peyton's first movie at the theater was the Lion King. They had real baby lions at the theater. Old Yeller, & Davey Crockett were ones we watched over and over and over......

I would like to see a picture of Bubba if you could.

Beckypdj said...

I see the picture on the side, but wouldn't mind seeing another :)

Susan said...

Aww - sweet memories of sweet boy.

Our hospital liked to play Toy Story 2 in SPANISH repeatedly.

Pam said...

Becky... I'll have to see what I can do to put up a couple of pics. We weren't digital back then and I'll have to find 'em and scan 'em. So gimme a bit of time since I'm not the techy one around the house. : )

Busy Bee Suz said...

These little sweet memories will be with you. always. I love these movies too...something sweet and innocent about them.
thank you for all your sweet words Kay. You are a wonderful person; a treasure to this world.
hugs,
suz

Kathleen said...

"Sweet boy" indeed! Thank you for sharing such a precious, personal remembrance.

Kathleen

Gberger said...

I love these memories. It makes me feel as if I get to meet Bub, when you share them.
Our guys were too old to be very excited about that movie, but I know a LOT of kids love it, and it sounds as if it was cute. Thank goodness for fun, clean, light distractions like that during hospital stays and recovery weeks! We watched lots of comedy shows, and movies, over and over again.

Dawn said...

I love memories like that.
Noah Liked Toy Story too. But the one movie that was always playing in the house, and the van was Finding Nemo. So the girls and I know the movie by heart.