Sometimes I think about verses that sound beautiful… I might even sing a song with that verse in it…and yet sometimes I don’t stop and think much about what the words mean.
I read a post about this verse today and it got me to thinking.
Ps 24:3-4. Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD?
And who may stand in His holy place?
4He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
Who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood…”
One of the points about this post was the idea that we like the idea of confession and repentance more than the practice of confession and repentance. And it hit me like a ton of bricks just how true that is.
I know He wants to forgive… and that He is forgiving… but very often I don’t do anything about it. I’ll think about my sin and think that is enough. Or be sorry for my sin and not confess it. Or even pray around the sin and still not confess it. Many times around this point I feel better because I feel like I’ve acknowledged the offense in my own heart and yet I haven’t truly confessed it. And there are so many ways I am a repeat offender…and I still don’t stop and realize I didn’t “just make a mistake” or something. I sinned.
It’s hard to confess sin, even to someone close to me, even when I know they’re going to give me a hug and tell me they love me anyway. But sometimes it’s also hard to confess things to God. Why? After all, He’s going to do more than hug me and tell me it’s ok (which hello, sin isn’t ‘ok’ anyway). He is going to forgive my sin. I think that’s something I can get a little umm.. casual about. The fact that I need actual forgiveness. But the difficult thing is… the more I need forgiveness, the more my flesh tells me I’m ok. And that darkens my heart to the life that God wants to be in me. And hardens me to His calling out and wooing to bring me back to Himself.
But in those times, I just can’t see it (sometimes). Or I can’t see Him, would be more accurate. Why??? Because my heart is not pure!
Matthew 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”
I feel like I’ve been flipping and flopping around for a little while and neglecting a fundamental and yet all important aspect of my walk with Him… confession.
It’s beautiful to sing it and let it’s words flow through my mind, but more difficult to pray it and let it break my heart and change me and be the death of me, so to speak. But it’s so good when it does.
4 comments:
Hmmm...very good things to think about...and hard things to think about, too! It's always good for us to get to this point... :) Thanks for sharing and encouraging me to think about my sin and how it grieves God...and how it SHOULD grieve me, too.
Blessings!
Sarah
This is a great post Kay and you really have me thinking. Wise words...deep thoughts.
Thanks,
Suz
Have a great day!
I would say that confession is definitely the weakest area in my prayer life as well. Thanks for the prompt; maybe it's time for me to work on it. I think it not only helps restore our relationship to God, but it also makes us more aware of our own sin and our need for repentance.
Kay, I have read this post about 4 times over several days before I could comment. Why is confession so hard? I think because it calls for CHANGE. You cannot confess something and then go back to doing it. We have an attitude when we do something we shouldn't of "oh that's just me.' Somethings I think or do are not God's best for me. The closer I get to Him the more change is required, and He helps me change. Our church is really focusing on change. Change is imperative if the Church is going to make a difference in this world. Whew, such a long comment! I am going to send you an email today too, I have a question for you :)
Post a Comment