Monday, October 26, 2009

distressed stool, a DIY

Since I’ve gotten, shall we say, a little more advanced in years, the idea of plopping my little butt tail end down while I blow dry my hair and put on make up is becoming more and more attractive.

Enter the plain ole little stool I bought recently when we make a trip over to Ikea.   There it is sitting under the test glass door for the other project I did recently.

P1010490

I couldn’t decide how I wanted to paint it but then decided I’d kinda like to paint and distress it.  So I did.

I’m not original, but I know how to copy things I’ve seen tutorials of. So that’s what I did. I used the products the girls at Shanty 2 Chic recommend and checked several of their projects to kind of figure it all out. 

I painted it with Rust-oleum American Accents spray paint in a cream-ish color.  Then I sanded the edges a tad.  Then I used Ralph Lauren faux technique glaze in tobacco (in hindsight, I think I bought one shade too dark for me).  It seemed a bit heavy even after wiping the glaze back off, so I ragged some more of it off with a damp cloth and it came out perfect. 

P1010532

When I was happy with the way the glaze looked, I decided to seal it with polycrylic.

P1010533

This is old stuff I used for a project a few years ago. I didn’t know if it was any good or not, but I gave it a shot.  When I used it a few years ago, it seemed effortless to use.  So easy.  But maybe the stuff was a little old, because it was making bubbles when I used a cheap paintbrush. So!  I sanded some of that down, and put a couple more coats on using a lint free cloth and it did fine.

P1010525

Turned out really cute, don’t you think?!

P1010527

Just the right amount of color and distress.

P1010528

Love it.  This was a nice practice piece to see if I liked the colors and technique. I have a bigger piece that may or may not get redone at some point. 

4 comments:

Jill said...

That looks really cute!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You did great!!!! I love it and am very impressed with your DIY-self. Quick call HGTV, you can have your own show soon.

ps. I gave up standing to do my hair makeup about 13 years ago. My old lady feet and legs can only do so much each day. :)

Beckypdj said...

I like it!!

Gberger said...

How fun - I love seeing this project. You are very creative.
A less-creative solution is to just put gel in your hair, mess it up with your fingers, and GO. That's my hair "secret." I'm into low maintenance wherever I can implement it! =)