Tuesday, October 20, 2009

there has to be a better way

There is a lot of buzz about fancy coffees of late. "You Know Who" seems to be all the rave right now. I look at this and I just don’t get it. For one thing, I’m not even a coffee drinker. But even if I were, it’s expensive. Does this little fact escape people or what? Are we unable to brew our own pot at home and flavor it any way we wish? Or is it more about the status of the to-go cup it comes in, which seems to almost be a fashion accessory these days?

And I’m not just saying that because my drink of choice (other than water, of course) is tea. Cold tea. And hot tea. I love me a little healthy sweetener too! I just can’t figure out what the fascination is with Fancy Coffee when there are hundreds of products on the shelves at the grocery store that will give you a yummy, custom made cup of flavored drink. And at a fraction of the price. There has to be a better way!

Today was grocery day and so I did a little price comparative… not of coffee because I don’t even know where to begin. But of the hot tea I drank for breakfast this morning. I wondered how much it cost per cup, since I’ve never sat down to figure that out.

P1010515

The cinnamon tea I had this morning runs $2.28 per box and there are 20 tea bags in each box. That brings the total for one serving to 11 cents.

The wonderful Sun Crystals that sweeten my tea run $4.97 per box and there are 100 sugar packets in each box. I put one in my hot tea and that is a total of 5 cents.

So 11+5= 16. Are you still with me? My morning cup of deliciousness runs me a grand total of….. sixteen cents.

Tell me again how much a grande frappy whappy whatever costs at the Fancy Place? A lot more than 16 cents! But they don’t give the fancy, nostalgic Chili’s kid cup to-go cups there, do they?

P1010517

I am just so cool.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Love! Love! This post!

Bravo!

~Dawn

Beckypdj said...

I agree whole heartedly. I'm not a coffee drinker either and I just don't get it. I guess I'm cool too. LOL

Busy Bee Suz said...

You are way cool. I never (hardly ever) buy coffee outside of the house. On occasion the kids will talk me into hitting the starbucks at target...yes, this stuff is overpriced. And the wasted cups...well that is what really annoys me. They don't offer recycling there for their cups!!!
Great post Kay. I love how you calculated your per cup cost. I hope mine is as cheap as yours is daily. :)