Tuesday, September 1, 2009

open house

Last night was open house for Miss Boo's first year in high school. She goes to a 'small' private school. I say small in that compared to public school, it's very tiny. But compared to a lot of the privates in the area, it's HUGE. And to her, it's HUGE because she used to go to a much smaller private school and there were 40 in the entire middle school. Now, there are around 400 high schoolers. A big difference to her. She carries on about how many halls there are and how big the building is, but it's tiny compared to the public schools the hubs and I went to. So we just smile and nod when she carries on.

We got to meet all her teachers and see her classrooms. We hit each one on a seven minute class time with a five minute passing period. She only has two women this year... the rest of her teachers are men. Isn't that somethin'? She is taking sign language (ASL) for her foreign language. She seems really sweet. We also met her English teacher... the other female. Lots of reading this year. oh boy.

And now for the rundown of the men... her Algebra 1 teacher is an interesting character... former attorney... gives out candy for correct answers. LOL We met her Bible teacher. He is young and energetic and sees teaching Bible as his ministry and wants to get to know each one of his kids and really work to nurture them spiritually. How cool is that? : ) There is a new science and technology building and her Biology class meets in there. Really nice building. Nice older gentleman teaches it. She's taking Technology Application Survey...meaning a little bit of everything to get her feet wet in technology... from circuits, to programming to robotics. I think she will love it. We've already done some of the things they will learn there, here at home, just for fun. (circuits, robotics)

She's also taking Ancient World History. Another man teacher. He gave the rundown of the usual things like late work policy etc and asked if there were any questions. This one lady pretty quickly asked the funniest thing! "I know I've taken a lot of classes and this has got to be just about the boringest class there can be... ancient world history.... what are you doing to make it fun and interesting?" Cue the crickets there for a second or two! But he recovered quickly and told how he keeps things interesting by doing little projects in class and having groups and different things like that... just to keep the kids hopping and not sitting there staring at him or a book. Good answer. But what a funny question!

It's always nice to put a face to a name and feel like we understand what's going on a little bit better. Hoping it's going to be a great year. : )

4 comments:

Gberger said...

It sounds like a wonderful school and a promising year ahead for Miss Boo. What a privilege - I hope she enjoys every day!

Dawn said...

sounds like you found her a great school! i would love for my kids to take asl. i would have loved it :) i laughed about the funny question. really? someone has enough courage to speak out and say that? wow. at least we all get to giggle about it!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I think I love her school.
I hope she has a great year. Perhaps you can get her a GPS to find her way around? or mapquest?

Jill said...

Sounds like a tough load for a freshman, but I'm sure she can handle it. Hope she has a great year!