Monday, September 14, 2009

hi neighbor

This morning as the hubby and Miss Boo were getting ready to head out, (he takes her to school on his way to work. Love. it.) he was sitting in a chair putting on his socks and shoes. Out of the blue he mentioned that he really should be singing the Mr. Rogers song while doing it.

So he proceeded to pull it up on You Tube and play it for us. I’ve seen it many times and it warmed my heart just a little bit to see that familiar face and hear a song I’d heard many times before.

She giggled while the music played… you know… really corny mom. But I smiled and sang along anyway.

I loved Mr. Rogers when I was a little girl. I knew he was waiting for me. He showed me interesting things and sang songs to me. And he cared for me. He told me I was special. And I believed it because he told me so everyday.

Eventually I figured out that Mr. Rogers wasn’t real. He didn’t really live in the little house or have a trolley in his living room or a Picture Picture or a fish tank or a delivery man named Mr. McFeely. He was a real person named Fred Rogers and even though he really did care about kids, he couldn’t see me through the tv or sing and talk to just me.

I’m so thankful God can. And that He brought me to know that I’m not just special, but precious to Him because He loves me. And He does sing to me. If I’m quiet and yielded to Him I can hear it.

“The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17



This post included in Your Life's "Your life, your blog".

your life your blog

4 comments:

Dawn said...

i love mr. rogers.
i loved that trolley going to the land of make-believe... and especially henrietta pussy-cat and lady aberlin.
i loved when the "pictures pages" were on picture picture (and i can still sing that song!)
and how could you not love mr. mcfeeley?

we may not have had computers or ipods... but we were so lucky. to have mr. rogers want to be our neighbor... and to be able to hop on over to sesame street any time we likes (okay, maybe not anytime... sometimes they showed those big colorful rectangles that old me there was nothing on tv!)

anyway... thanks for the sweet memories today!

Beckypdj said...

He will take great delight in me?!?! That is hard to believe sometimes, but that is what His Word says! It is my prayer that I could see myself and others the way God sees us.

I like Mr. Rogers, but those puppets creeped me out a little.

Jill said...

I loved Mr. Rogers too! My favorite part was the Neighborhood of Make Believe. I have heard Mr. R. was a minister in real life.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Mr. Rogers was my friend too. I enjoyed my time with him. It was so nice to see a kind and patient man. I loved that darn trolley too, but have to admit that mr. McFeely creeped me out...even back then.