I was talking with a friend today about something she’s looking for used. She wants it to be cheap used so she can paint over it herself and she won’t have to worry about it getting messed up. It will already be a little banged up broken in. I just love that about her.
One time several years ago Boo’s Sunday school teacher did a little unit on everything from how to take care of a hairbrush to washing your face to modesty and frugality and on and on. She even had a lady from church come in and talk to the girls about shopping at thrift stores. I have to admit I had not been to one in quite a while. She also sold jewelry, so she made a deal with them. If they could go shopping at the thrift store and come home with an outfit on the cheap, she would give them a really cute piece of jewelry. So we took her up on the challenge and came away with a really cute church outfit. And she also scored a really cute necklace.
I was so glad Boo embraced the little challenge. I want her to know it’s ok to shop on the cheap, and that there isn’t anything wrong with frugality.
Ever since then, I’ve taken to making a little run through my local thrift store every now and again, because you never know what you’re going to find. I told my friend later that the capris I was wearing today were purchased at Goodwill for $4 and they still had the tags on them when I bought them. Hello! You can’t argue with that. Although I did notice they needed a simple repair so I got some thread and stitched one tiny spot. Just like new! And did I mention they were only $4?
We’ve never scored another whole outfit, but we’ve found little things here and there along the way. Maybe it’s time to go again and see what we’ll find. And how little we can get away with spending.
Because I’m not too cool for that.
4 comments:
I am a TOTAL thrift shopper.
I just love it.
Yard sales, garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores.
When living in base housing for so long I discovered that THAT was the BEST of BEST place to yard sale on the weekends. People are always comeing and going on and off the base. People need to downsize a lot so they would get rid of stuff CHEEEP.
It's how I decorated my house. 3/4's of my house is thrifty.
I'm SO proud of how much money I saved in the long run by wakeing up early saturday mornings and GOING yard sale crazy! Woooo HOO!
Never too cool for saving some dough. I love a good bargain. My Girls LOVE shopping at Goodwill. When they find something great, they BRAG about it for days. :)
I'm not either! We have a Goodwill right around the corner, and I stop in regularly to see what I can find. ( :
Congrats on the great buy on the capris :) You sound like my sister -- she always comes up with the best bargains. And always very proud of it, too :)
Post a Comment