Tuesday, February 24, 2009

get out of the boat

I recently came across a book called If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat (yeah.. that's a looong title lol) by John Ortberg. I will start this little post by saying that sometimes the 'gimmick' of a book will drive me so nuts that I can't see past it. Hoping this isn't one of those times.

But having said that... here's the premise of the book.. (and I'm not very far into this and I may see things differently later on... but I'm not there yet!) Anyway.. this is a twist on the story of when Peter walked on the water towards Jesus. Remember he lost his focus on Jesus and fell into the water and Jesus reached down and lifted him up. What a beautiful story. But the focus of the book (seeeeems to be) on the other ones in the boat because they never tried. And this makes Peter better just because he tried when none of the others volunteered.

And I can see how one could see that in the story.. and especially see it in light of something like writing a book etc that has a 'certain' message (remember sometimes I can't get past these things.. so forgive me.. this is what blogging is all about, isn't it?! Yes, there are reasons why I don't read many 'popular' Christian books LOL)

But....I struggled with this whole thing. I struggled when this was first presented to me and will probably continue to struggle with it.. unless God reveals something else to me during the course of going through this book.

The reason I struggled with this is because it misses the whole point of the story. (and I hate to call things in the Bible 'stories' since they're far more than that... anyhoo...) To me, the main point of the story is not about the other disciples in the boat. It is a personal interaction between Peter and Jesus. A very intimate one. Peter is always seen as the bold and impulsive. And I think people can relate to that and so they like to see him that way.

But it saddens me when we look at people in the Bible and want to compare ourselves to them or wish we had what they had (face to face relationship with Jesus in this case). Especially when they are comparing themselves to someone of whom the Holy Spirit had not yet come to dwell. To me that is a very important key.

To me this whole 'story' is a picture of what Jesus wants to be to us now. He doesn't want us stepping out on our own, for one thing. But then when life swirls all around us, He wants us to keep our focus on Him. To abide in Him. To keep intently focused on Him at all times. Because when we don't, we fall. We might not fall into the sea... but we can feel as though we are drowning, none the less.

To me this story is a beautiful, living picture of what the Holy Spirit is for us today. I know if people began to see that, they would understand more of who He is and what He wants to do for us and live in us in the first place. It's not just a story that happened a long time ago. He wants it be a living reality for you and for me.



Yes, I *heart* me some Cynthia Clawson! I remember going to several of her concerts as a young adult. She is amazing!

1 comment:

Busy Bee Suz said...

wow. You are not even that far into it and you have lots to say about it....all good too. I love all your points, they are very valid. Let us know what you think later on too...I saw this book somewhere recently and I really like the title. It caught my attention**
:)