Thursday, June 3, 2010

summer and tv

Summer has sprung!

This is our first week off.

We have:

  • been to Walmart more than once.
  • been to Aldi to buy cheap food to throw on people at a youth event at church.
  • been to Chick-fil-a.
  • taken the girl to spend the night with a friend.
  • had a girl over to spend the night.
  • gotten our season passes to the water park.
  • gone to the water park the next day.
  • gone to get the hubs a new pair of glasses.
  • baked a birthday cake for the hubs. He turned old yesterday.
  • eaten a lot of chocolate cake.

We’ve managed to keep busy this week. But when we weren’t busy, I could always count on my ‘friend’ HGTV to keep my company.

BUT…I have a bone to pick with them!

I seems like there aren’t very many decorating shows on right now. I really like to watch Sarah’s House. That’s my fave. Saturday nights at 7:30. But a good decorating show is hard to find right now. It’s mostly the real estate stuff. *yawn*

I like House Hunters. I really do. There’s nothing like watching people pick out a house and then move in and be able to see the changes it took them 6 months to make in one 30 minute show. But…

…it’s like the only program they show these days. It’s on all. the. time!  And sometimes I just get a little peeved at it. I cracks me up when the person shopping for the house has a hissy over the fact that there aren’t granite counter tops. (first off.. ever heard the word “renovate”??? I guess not!)  I get it that you have your own idea of what you want your house to look like. I really do, but this disdain for anything less and the tone of total inability to produce a meal out of a kitchen that doesn’t have granite just cracks me up. *eye roll* Guess what sugar, I’ve NEVER cooked a meal on a granite countertop and yet we manage to eat every single day. I know.

And then I get annoyed at the way the realtors will take the people to see houses they’ve already stated they can’t afford. Which of course will be THE house the family can’t live without. But then they submit a below the belt offer. And then act insulted when the buyer won’t just cave and sell them the house for $50,000 less than their asking price. I always feel sorry for the seller. What a rip!

I spend a lot of time talking right back to the tv when these silly families are on.

Somebody’s gotta talk some sense into these people.

What’s your favorite show in HGTV?

3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

You are so funny. We tivo house hunters and house hunters international.
We laugh at all those peeps too. I loathe when they complain about the paint color or lack of a ceiling fan. I suppose those people have never been to home depot.
Congrats on your hubby turning OLD yesterday. :0
Suz

Cheryl Barker said...

I'm not a HGTV watcher, but I love that you've been eating lots of chocolate cake :)

Wade's World said...

I just don't realtor TV shows. I'm with you; the expectations of some people are just ridiculous. Also, they only seem to feature people looking for $800,000 homes, or even worse, their new international home for when they go on vacation. Don't they realize that in this economy, we need a show featuring someone looking for a home in a realistic price range, like, say, less than $150,000!