Friday, June 11, 2010

camp

The girl and I have been busy figuring out some of the last minute things she will need for camp. She leaves Sunday evening.

A lady that we’ve both known since our single days is going as a chaperone and one of the cooks for camp. She was on Facebook today reminiscing about what camp used to be versus was it will be for this group of kids. She didn’t go to the same camp I did, but I think a lot of our experiences are similar.

We went to more than one camp over the years I was in youth group.  Now they call it student ministry.  But whatev’s. One of the camps was pretty close to home. It had air conditioning even though it was pretty rustic otherwise. The auditorium was also very dated with shag carpets, but it was also indoors. I went there when I was a good bit younger than my girl and I don’t have as many memories of the place.

In the later years, we went to a place in  Arkansas. I think we went there two or three years in a row when I was an older high school ‘student’. There was a creek that separated the girls dorms from the boys. There was a swimming pool with a bridge in the between. There was no mixed swimming. As a matter of fact, the opposite sex wasn’t even allowed on the bridge nearby during swimming times.  The dorms were very crude and I think there were only 3 or 4 potties to a group of a couple dozen girls. Yeah. And we didn’t have real A/C..only evaporative coolers. Talk about sticky and hot. And the sanctuary was open air too.

I looked them up online the other day and they just built a “state of the art” sanctuary, all indoors, and air conditioned, for sure. I just don’t think it would be the same.

My girl leaves Sunday night for camp in Alabama. She’s never been to camp before at all and she doesn’t know these kids very well. So she’s very excited but a little nervous at the same time. They’re staying in condos on the beach.  I did read online today that they aren’t recommending that people go in the water at her beach, but the beach itself is still open. As is the pool adjacent to the condo.  They will travel by bus to a local church in the mornings and evenings for church and have their meals etc as a ‘family’ in their condos.

Sounds pretty fancy compared to way it was ‘back in the day’.

**Also please pray for traveling safety for our group. They are going to be traveling through the night on buses and that makes me a little leery, if you know what I mean. On the return trip, they will travel all day long, which doesn’t make me as nervous as somebody driving throughout the night.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, condos on the beach sounds pretty ritzy compared to what I called camp. Still, I know she will have a wonderful time and make great friends and great memories!

Wade's World said...

She'll be in my neck of the woods! I hope she loves the AL gulf coast, despite the oil!

And camp when I was a kid was un-airconditioned. Kids today don't know how good they have it!

I'll pray she has a safe trip!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Camping in condos? Sounds perfect to me. She will have a great time and meet lots of new friends...that always happens.
Too bad about the beach though.
Prayers for the drivers.
Suz

Gberger said...

Blessings and traveling mercies to Boo and her group! Camp is a wonderful experience. She's going to grow! and you and your husband will have some nice, quiet time together. I hope all of you enjoy each moment.

Diana Ferguson said...

Exchanging prayers with you this morning. Praying for a safe, blessed trip!

Midwestern Chica said...

Mine are off at camp too, so I can relate a little to where you'll be this week. I have one at a "cushy" camp - his cabin will have A/C & bathrooms. :) The other will too, but will be working outside all of the day in the heat, so the A/C in the eve is well deserved.

Cheryl Barker said...

Hope she's having a great time! Condo-camping is my kind of camping! :)