We got a letter in the mail the other day from a family that benefited from the care they received at the hospital Bub was treated at. At the end of the letter, it said 'someone' would be contacting us soon to see if we wanted to give to the hospital.
Soon was today.
I talked to the lady and told her we had given to the hospital in the past. And that we also had received excellent care and were thrilled to be able to give back. But we had already given back.
Now we're considering sponsoring a Compassion child.
I felt like I had to defend the fact that I was not, at this time, interested in giving. She was sort of aggressive. She asked if I wasn't going to give this year, was I going to give next year. I got sort of tired of the conversation, frankly.
But it did take me back to realize we did receive excellent care. At every level. But one thing that happened went over and beyond. I called clinic one day and told the nurses that Bub had been waking up at night fussing about his knee. They immediately went into action and I got a call back from one of the doctors. We call him Doctor Handsome. Not because of how he looks, but because every time he came into our room, he referred to Bub as 'Handsome'.. hey, Handsome, gimme five.. that kinda deal. And Bub H-A-T-E-D it. He did not like being fussed with that way. I don't blame him. I never did either.
But anyway.. back to Doctor Handsome... when he called me back, he told me Bub needed a strong narcotic liquid and that is a controlled substance and he couldn't call it in. And I couldn't run into Kroger and grab it either. We needed to go to a specialized pharmacy. And it was getting late. Believe it or not.. Dr Handsome offered to drop the RX by my house on his way home. We figured out he lives in a neighboring suburb down the street from us. So that's what he did. He was at my door probably less than an hour later with scrip in hand. I was shocked he would do it and incredibly grateful. It was funny for Bub to see 'him' at our front door. It's a cute memory for me, believe it or not.
The kids had fun running around in the pharmacy playing together. You wouldn't know he was terminally ill by watching them cut up. They were disruptive, but I didn't give a rip. He was gone six days later.
I didn't have time to go into it with the lady on the phone. But the people that wrote the letter aren't the only ones with a story to tell. If she'd of stopped pushing me long enough, she could'a heard that.
3 comments:
You have a very great story of committed, compassionate care there. I think that the foundation that supports that hospital would want to have that story in writing, and personally, I think they would benefit from re-training (or re-assigning) that caller. She was out of line, in my opinion.
We work pretty closely with our hospital's foundation. Your ability to tell your/Bub's story could help to raise more funds for them than you could donate on your own. They might be wise to think about it that way. God bless you!
That's why I have called ID; I just avoid calls like that.
I don't know if you're familiar with Pioneer Woman's blog (http://thepioneerwoman.com). I don't know her personally, but I love her blog. Her husband and 2 pre-teen daughters just took a trip to the Dominican Republic to meet the girls they sponsored through Compassion International. Apparently it was life-changing for them. Look under "Monthly Archives" and November if you go to her site. She has a lot of good pics and stuff to say about Compassion, International.
Jill.. I've been reading all of the Compassion bloggers for this trip. And it really cemented my desire to go with them.
Yeah.. I know what you mean about caller id.. but it said 'private caller' which is usually a doctors office and I need to take those calls. And if had of been the hospital, I would have taken that too, since there are always billing things etc since our pedi is thru the hospital. Its sort of a 'catch 22' kinda thing.
Post a Comment