Saturday, November 8, 2008

expelled

The hubby and I had some time to ourselves yesterday, so we decided to watch a movie we bought a while back. It was called Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (with Ben Stein). The whole movie is pretty much interviews with various scholars/scientists regarding intelligent design. Some were denying that God ever existed or that there could be any form of 'ID'. Many others have had their jobs taken etc for suggesting there is an author of the universe. That we didn't just become the way Darwin suggests.

Anyway.. there were so many observations. One of them was a man who described how ridiculous religion was and how he had determined God didn't exist. Another one was the discussion of how some religious people 'in the field' decide after studying Darwinism, that they no longer accept God and become atheists. This one stunned me more than the first fellow that never seemed to claim His name in the first place. All of it broke my heart.

But why... why would someone who felt like they 'had' God at some point, turn away and decide within themselves He doesn't exist. Because they didn't know Him in the first place?

Would I... could I turn away and decide He didn't exist? I know the answer to that is no. But why? Maybe it's because I am not just serving a religion. (I AM burned out on that part myself) But I have a relationship as sure as any of the earthly ones I have here. I talk to Him and He talks to me. I am as sure of the things He says to me as the things others have said to me. How could I turn away from that? I couldn't!

This is one of the things that made me so sad about watching the movie. Seeing these people with nothing to put their trust in but their own wisdom. Relying only on the seen.. only on what they could touch with their hands or see through a microscope. What a life..devoid of any hope. And yet that is how most people stumble through their lives.

I'm so thankful He's given me hope and life and shown me Himself beyond the seen.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I've thought about what it would be like to not know God and have nothing to put my hope in, and I'm so glad I do know Him! I can't imagine going through hard times and not having anything to hold onto.

Smelling Coffee said...

Me, too, Kay! Me, too! :-)

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

I may need to borrow that one from you. Hubs and I wanted to see it when it came out in the movie theaters but we weren't at a point in life where it was possible.

I got spam in my comments the other day from an athiest. Interesting youtube link. email me if you want to look at it.